Gold severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle567

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi has anyone kept a gold severum with golden barbs before or something similar, I currently have 5 golden barbs in a 75 gallon and wondered if it is possible to put the severum in with it. I've seen some people that are able to do it and others not

The only barbs I've ever kept were Denison barbs. When my Gold Severums were fairly small (<4 inches) I kept them in a 75g tank with mature Denison barbs with no issues. The Severums were only in the tank to grow a bit before I added them to my South American cichlid tank, but they didn't seem interested in the barbs. Even now, in the S Amer tank, the mature Severums mostly seem only interested in each other, though they will hold their own if bothered by other fish.
I know nothing of Gold Barbs, but if they're large enough to not be seen as food, or if the Severums are juvenile and the barbs not aggressive, it could work. It's always a good idea to have a back-up tank available if things don't work out between species, however.

Yeah that's the problem this is my largest tank so I'm going to have to wait to get severums for now I'm sure they'd be completely fine but it's not worth the risk

I have a golden severum and he's a bit of a gentle giant. I've never seen him chase another fish and the others just leave him alone. He's a bit like a puppy, he gets very excited when he sees me and just glides around the tank the rest of the time. I love him

Yeah this my point it's just the individual fish temperament

Back
Top Bottom