Golden jenny, Charlie, and pennywort not doing so hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good news is that there is now a betta fish in the 18 gallon!

Bad news is that this week my creeping charlie, golden jenny, and the floating brazillian pennywort all seem to not be doing so hot. The leaves on each have some yellowing, and the golden jenny is now a dark puce color with rust-hued coloration (it's definitely coloration, not a dust/anything sitting on the leaf). Those that are planted of either variety are also dying from the root/bottom up.

What on earth is going on? I've been dosing 4ml Flourish Excel each day (save for a few days last week because I'm awaiting a new bottle), and 2ml Flourish Comprehensive 1-2 times a week, or after a PWC. The Rotala indicia and the java ferns are taking off though, so at least not everything's dying.

Do I need to adjust my dosing, or add more ferts to the mix? Did the rpesence of the single fish, and thus the stopping of so much ammonia conversion, cause my tank to go a bit wonky? (Can my 'cycle'/filter load completely stop/end/revert to the Start/die from its tank occupant not creating enough waste? Is that even a Thing?).

Can you post pic's? Do you know what your nitrate and phosphate levels are? Also what is your lighting and bulbs?

I'll post pictures tomorrow, if that's OK - desperately need to start studying right now.

And sadly I'm not... sure of my levels :\ . I don't have test kits for those, but if you know the names of some good ones that are a bit cost-effective, I appreciate all advice on that!

Lighting I DO know though and it's two daylight spectrum CFL bulbs, 75W equivalent/1170 lumens per bulb. They're on about 6 hours a day, though for a while since November 8th I've only had one on and alternated each day as to which one that was. My fish took a little while to get adjusted to have both on. These past four or so days they've both been on, though. The lights are situated about 5-6 inches above the top of the tank. (I know it's not high light, or at least I'm sure it's not. Plants were doing great though at the beginning of the month).

11v076f.png

23m4va1.png

iql9xi.png

Those are the jenny. The photos suck, and excuse the snail poo, but hopefully you can see on at least one of them that there's this orange tint/spackling to some of the leaves, seen better at the broad points where the bend down. They're quite sad looking.

fnenti.png

Example of the charlie where they're rotting at the bottom. This is happening to more established plants, including some big jenny plants, not just to little sprouts. Maybe the larger ones just got too large?

10n58i9.png

Meanwhile, these guys are just going to town. There are 6+ more not in the photo.

2n17ui0.png

Set-up etc.

x_x hopefully these are at least a little helpful.

So the tank was set up Nov 8th? The brown stuff, have you tried rubbing it between your fingers to see if it just rubs right off and I'm pretty sure you've got Diatoms. Diatoms are self limiting and once excess silicates are used up in the water they will die out. Adding some nerite snails will help keep them in check.

You should get an API test kit for nitrates and phosphates. You should also have one for ph and API makes a dual test kit for kh and gh. These are the levels I keep tabs on. In a planted tank you want nitrates at 10-20ppm and phosphates at 1-3ppm.

With that lighting I would suggest using a liquid carbon daily (Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Metricide 14) or doing DIY CO2.

Then use dry ferts which I can give you info on. All this will make such a big difference in the plants.

The tank was set up SEPTEMBER 10th or so, took about two months to cycle, and I got the betta fish on November 8th. I have the API master test kit for freshwater and check things daily, just not that Kh or Gh test kit. PH is a constant 7.6, since that's what the water here is and it doesn't fluctuate much. Nirates have been 5ppm since November 7th, and Ammonia and Nitrites have been 0 since November 5th. I dose liquid CO2 at 4ml daily, save for last week when things were sporadic because of low supply, and 2ml of comprehensive twice a week. I've been thinking of doing a DIY CO2 injection though, which I might start next week/after the weekend once I'm paid and back from my weekend work trip.

As for anything coming off the leaves, it doesn't :\ . Though the tank is looking a little dirty so I'll do a good PWC tomorrow after work.

Any and all info for the dry ferts will be appreciated!!

As for dry fert this $15 package is all you need and will last a couple years... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html.

You need 3 dosing bottles found at the bottom of this page... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html.

This is a good thread about dosing PPS-Pro. Only read the opening post not all the comments after it.... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html.

There are two things I do different from the article. First I use 3 dosing bottles as I split the macro nutrients for better custom dosing to the needs of the tank. Nitrates in one bottle, phosphates and potassium in one bottle, and micro's in the 3rd bottle. The other thing you'll notice the recipe calls for using MgSO4, magnesium sulfate, which you don't need if you have hard tap water with a Gh and Kh of 4 or higher.

EXCELLENT. Thank you so much! Once I get paid I'll start planning.

Back
Top Bottom