Golden Wonder Killie warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black udder

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok - this is now the most infuriating thing in the tank yet.

Worse than the dang algae.

Worse than the mysterious deaths.

My GW Killie is slowly eating all of my cotton picking SAE's!

It's not like they didn't cost about $45 and he cost $3. :evil:

They eat the nasty hair algae and he's eating them... *sigh*

Warning is - anything that can fit in their mouth and comes to the surface is dinner.

I have a bunch of ottos in tank, but it would appear that they stay close to the bottom out of his realm; whereas I guess the SAE's were spending some time at the top (probably eating the algae).

:(

my golden wonder chases my danios, but I don't think he was eating them....I guess it's time to do a head count, huh?

See if your lfs will take the golden wonder for credit.

i thought killies didnt get very big, and SAEs are pretety big. diff species of killie?

lmw80 - I have a lfs that I think will take him. Question is now, do I just give up on the last SAE (I think he ate the other 5) and keep the killie until he expires - maybe another year (I heard they only live a couple years)? Or see if the lfs will take him and get some SAEs again...

The GWK is about 3-4 inches long. He's not very big around, but the SAEs are only about an inch long. Their tail sticks out of his mouth. I dunno how he's getting them head-first...obviously, he's pretty quick.

black udder - depends on which you want more. If you really like the killie, then keep him. They do have short life spans which is why I think they are not all that popular.

If you decide to keep both, you may want to curb your killie's appetite by feeding him bigger foods. Mine likes freeze dried whole shrimp (get mine at the lfs) and he also loooooves live crickets. I put one in there and bam! he's got him.

I had a golden wonder panchax, is that close to what you are talking about. Well, I had many guppies. Over stocked. Maybe 40, and 2 at all but 3 guppies in the end. I sold them. THey are monsters! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom