Goldfish Alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordErrorprone

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have some goldfish in my 20gal, but their like floating ammonia pumps. One good thing about them is they do a very good job at cleaning the bottom of the tank. What is a good alternative to goldfish? (Something is a good bottom feeder.)

as you have goldfish I assume this is a cold water tank?

Weather loaches are great cold water bottom feeders, they rarely miss anything!

However, they are also fish that grow quite quickly, so do some of your own research to see if they fit with your tank/what you want.

I have two, and find them to be both very hardy and amusing/intelligent fish to watch.

oh ok sorry!

I guess cories will be the suggestion then, but they are fish that i dont know all that much about, so someone else will have to jump in here!

alright then the tank is warm then you could get a sucking striped catfish, A striped khuli loach or any loaches, Corys are definitly high on the list. Shrimp, red cherry shrimp (RCS) or glass shrimp or ghost shrimp or blue tiger shrimp or anything

Do you think 4 goldfish could cause .50 ammonia in a 20gal?

Oh that depends on so many factors. How often you are feeding them. What size, power, type of filter you are using. How far through the cycle you are.

0.5 ammonia is high but yes, I would say you are overstocked for that sized tank. The usual recommendation for goldfish is at least 20 gallons, per goldfish.

I have a 20G with 2 goldfish. My tank stays clean between them, my Pleco, and my Fiddler crab. Between them and the filter when I did my first vacuum/PWC I didn't notice too awful much debri/waste under the rocks.

They all do a great job of keeping the tank clean and seem to coincide well together. So far, so good. My crab is probably my fav. She's fun to watch and scurries along the bottom cleaning. Also cool to watch climb the log to clean/eat/get air.

I personally think I may have stumbled upon a good combo. In the future I'll prolly run a similar set of life in a larger tank.

Koi swordtails! They have similar coloration to koi, hence the name, but they're suitable for the average aquarium.

Yenner, just some FYI: Those goldfish have the potential to grow to 12"+. If that's a common pleco, it can grow to 18"+. Your fiddler crab is actually semi-aquatic and needs some land to get out and dry off. This is why many fiddlers either die early or climb out and escape.

Yenner, just some FYI: Those goldfish have the potential to grow to 12"+. If that's a common pleco, it can grow to 18"+. Your fiddler crab is actually semi-aquatic and needs some land to get out and dry off. This is why many fiddlers either die early or climb out and escape.

Yup. The goldfish I bought VERY small. THey have already grown a little bit though. The Pleco is a Small Pleco. Up to 6" is what I've read. The fiddler has land. I have a little underwater setup where he can get on land and get air. :) Used a common fish bowl, on its side, with an air bubble that I refresh regularly. There is a log with a cave that she hides in and can climb on up to the air bubble. I'll have to get pics when I get a chance and get the rest of my decor done. :)

Also, I plan on getting a larger tank in the future. My studio apartment only allows for so much right now. Thanks for the tips though! I appreciate everyone here watching out for the best interest of the aquatic life and the willingness to educate owners. :)

Only because of this site and other online research. I'm glad I did too. The fiddler is actually the only thing I bought before reading up. Soon as I got home I researched and realized I had some renovations to do.

Used a common fish bowl, on its side, with an air bubble that I refresh regularly

That's a really cool idea! Can't wait to see pictures of that. Maybe when all my fish bite the bucket (they're getting fairly old) I'll have to try something like that. I bet it is really cool to watch that crab in there. :lol:

I guess it would have to be refreshed very regularly, around once per day?!

What might be even more interesting would be to have an upturned bowl, with an air line feeding into it, so the air is constantly refreshed, yet it's still under water.

Just diving in here with some advice that I've come accross a lot since I've been researching my plecs. They can be quite fond of the slime coat on a goldfish and take to sucking it off them. Generally tho this indicates your not feeding the plec enough and tbh I've had no problem with it. But all knowledge is handy so I thought I'd chuck it in :)

I guess it would have to be refreshed very regularly, around once per day?!

What might be even more interesting would be to have an upturned bowl, with an air line feeding into it, so the air is constantly refreshed, yet it's still under water.

I've actually heard of that being done. Still, there isn't a release for the "old air". Hmmmm....shoulda done more research BEFORE buying the fiddler. :)

The 3 people I have talked to who work with fish and have owned all their life STILL insist that fiddlers don't need air. Say they've had them for a good while and never had an issue. I don't get it. :confused:

I've actually heard of that being done. Still, there isn't a release for the "old air".

Yes there is! Make sure the air line puts in the air at the top of the bowl, the pressure of the air coming in will force the 'old' air out of the bottom of the bowl and it'll bubble up to the top of the tank.

Yes there is! Make sure the air line puts in the air at the top of the bowl, the pressure of the air coming in will force the 'old' air out of the bottom of the bowl and it'll bubble up to the top of the tank.

Touche! I'm about to get a new pump. Maybe I'll use the old pump for this and save me some time. :)

I've actually heard of that being done. Still, there isn't a release for the "old air". Hmmmm....shoulda done more research BEFORE buying the fiddler. :)

CO2 is heavier than normal air. I would think it would sink to the surface of the water and be expelled first.

Back
Top Bottom