Goldfish and pelco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Outdoor74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 goldfish and a pelco In a 2.5 gallon tank (had for 2yrs now upgrading to 5 soon) but I noticed my pelco doesn't eat much because of the goldfish stealing his food, I tryed multiple things put two algae wafer in then it makes the water fogy.Tryed pushing goldfish back with pop cycle stick (three of them doesn't work so well) and so I was reading on different posts on this website and they said if the pelco prodouces waste it's health and it rarely does.

Any Suggestions are great and thank you for your time!

Hi,
Welcome to the community.

What kind of Pleco do you have? They are active at night and you probably do not see it roving around as much.

You need way more room for those fish. If they have a large tank they will have places to feed from separately from the Pleco.

Add a half wafer at night after lights out and the pleco will have a better shot at eating. GF are always wanting to eat.

Try Hikari sinking wafers for bottom feeders with an orange trim on the bag all the fish love them. GF will also like to eat them. They do not cloud the water.

Here is a great link for info on GF sizes and tanks.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Here are the suggestions in a nutshell. Goldfish need a very large amount of space to grow properly. For 3 GF, the average size tank would be 40 GALLONS, plus a Pleco, if it is a common one, it should be much larger than that with 2 jumbo sized filters with a ton of flow, as in gallons per hour.

Regardless of food concerns I urge you to look up proper housing limit for goldfish. You would need a minimum a 60 gallons for that amount of GOLDFISH and that's not even ideal. Remember goldfish live for more than 10 years with proper care and you should be committed to providing their needs as best you can. 5 gallons is NOT enough

A 2 year old goldfish shouldn't even physically fit in a 2.5 g tank, let alone 3 and a pleco

Hi,
Welcome. It's amazing you've kept these fish alive !! That's good news.

If you are committed to keeping all 4 for their natural lifespan I would be looking for sales on 125-150g.

Common Plecos get 12"
Common GF get 8-12"

Plecos can live 20yrs
Common/Comet GF can live 20yrs. or more. Record is 37 yrs I think ?

Most people kill them in a year or two.

Have you had the Pleco for the whole time ? Or is this a new fish ??

My best advice ? If it was me? Rehome/return the Pleco. I know of big Plecos injuring GF by accident because they are spiny and if they panic the GF can get hurt.

If the GF are Commons look at making or building a pond. Or getting a big tank with big filters.

You have 4 poop machines in a tiny space. No room to grow, no room to hide. Hard to keep water quality in such a tiny space.

Can we see a pic ???

I'm not trying to bully you or make you feel bad. There is a lot of bad info about fish. You have to research to find the good info.

Please stick around and keep reading.
We are here to help.

IMG_1480484407.407402.jpg
IMG_1480484479.982532.jpg

Fish do not grow to the size of the tank. Horrible myth !
They stunt, then they die.

For a 2.5 or a 5g the best fish is a single Betta. Those tanks are too small for most fish.

My Betta boy in his 10g
IMG_1480484645.288768.jpg

❤️❤️❤️Fish

Tina,
Still not a dude

Back
Top Bottom