Goldfish and Temp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaqyshadows

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I started to cycle a new 29g aquarium. I was going to fishless cycle but my mother got me three black moore goldfish from walmart (I know). 2 of them ended up dying. Well Ive been keeping my aquarium at about 74. Then I started talking to my LFS guy about getting dwarf gouramis and some neons some corys and hes like you cant have goldfish in there they dont do the higher temps. Well WTH?? People keep these fish in their backyard in the summertime when its like 90+ outside and they dont chill their water. 2 of them died. 1 got caught behind the filter and died due to his big *** eyes. I have recently replaced this filter with a Aquaclear 70 The other had popeye stressed out and died. Surprise surprise walmart fish right? Well the other one is doing really well and I've actually never seen such an active telescoping eye goldfish before. Hes a fast swimmer for the type of fish. He plays in the bubbles and the current of the filter. Hes not gasping for air and doesnt really stress when I do WC. He recognizes me and will interact when I am close to the tank. He seems a very healthy fish. But is this 74 degrees really going to mess with him? I just dont see it..

He's so hyper because his metabolism is raised causing him to be more active due to the heat.

I recently had a tank reach 96.7 degrees(heater failure). Just looking at the tank you could not see much of a noticeable difference.

Well maintained ponds have temperature control on them. It's not that the fish will die immediately from the high temps, it's that it's a discomfort to them. When you get hot outside you don't die, you are just in discomfort and sweating. Long term, it would take a toll on you, same applies to fish.

Caleb

I read that goldfish adapt to it by adjusting their internal body temp. It increases their matabolism but makes it harder for them to breath. I have a over sized bubble wall in it so I'm good. Either way I'm not sure what to do about it because the temp sits at 72-74 with no heater in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read that goldfish adapt to it by adjusting their internal body temp. It increases their matabolism but makes it harder for them to breath. I have a over sized bubble wall in it so I'm good. Either way I'm not sure what to do about it because the temp sits at 72-74 with no heater in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as you acclimate slowly, you should be alright. But no, i would really not say that Neons or Gouramis are a good choice for a Goldfish tank. Maybe White Cloud Minnows, they are a schooling fish capable of dealing with cooler water.

To cool down the tank, you can just add a bit of dechlorinated water of a colder temp, but do only a little bit at a time as to not cause large temperature swings. But if you get the fish used to the higher temps properly (drip acclimation would be good here) then they should be ok as is, but i wouldn't expect the full length of lifetime from them.

Also, you can position a small fan to blow across the surface of the water. This will cool it down a bit.

Higher temps raise their metabolism and decrease the levels of oxygen in the water. Higher temps means faster growth, but overall shorter lifespan.

People have cooling systems in outdoor pons for koi and goldfish. The water also doesn't get as hot as the air, because water loses and gains heat much slower than air or dirt.

The bubble wand will help, the warmer water can use more oxygen. I would still attempt to lower the temp though, for the long-term health of your fish.

A 29 gallon is too small for a fully grown Goldy, it will need a bigger tank if it grows. The "Telescope" varieties can grow usually at least 6-8 inches, and regular Comet or Feeder Goldfish can grow longer than a foot.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom