Goldfish carpets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HugoSuarez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are some good carpet plants for Goldfish? You know, some that goldfish will NOT completely demolish...

For example, how is java moss? Or hairgrass?

And what is the official consensus on the "to sand, or not to sand" substrate for GF?

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank?

Java moss will grow in relatively low light conditions, but it will not form a carpet without some additional maintenance and work (i.e. using craft mesh or hair nuts). Hairgrass works great... but you need a good amount of lighting to get it to form a carpet. Either would be fine with goldfish.

The substrate is up to you... have seen sand used many times in goldfish tanks... it is personal preference.

Unfortunately, you are very limited for choices for carpet plants with low light. Plants like Hemianthus callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears), lilaeopsis, dwarf hair grass, Glossostigma elatinoides, pelia, riccia, and others that can be used to form a carpet are all high light plants that require a lot of TLC. Your best bet is to use java moss or another aquatic moss.

I will never use gravel with goldfish again. Sand is more natural, cleaner, better with sinking foods, and goldfish love sifting through it.

I don't think any plants would work as a carpet with goldfish, they love digging through the substrate too much.

Not with low light and goldfish... Unless you want to use java moss.

Back
Top Bottom