Goldfish dying??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok my granma has had this goldfish for like ten years he lives in a pond during the summer and a 29g alone during the winter, anyway his tank got some algae in it and she added tetra Algae Control, the next day he goldfish was curled in a slight C shape and layin on his side on the bottom, she pulled him out and put him in a container but he hasn't moved although we see him breathing... Is this swim bladder disease or something else and what should we do???

first of all have you checked all the water paramaters, and has there been a recent PWC, if not do a 50-75% one asap.... could be age? I dont know how long goldfish live...

Ok my granma has had this goldfish for like ten years he lives in a pond during the summer and a 29g alone during the winter, anyway his tank got some algae in it and she added tetra Algae Control, the next day he goldfish was curled in a slight C shape and layin on his side on the bottom, she pulled him out and put him in a container but he hasn't moved although we see him breathing... Is this swim bladder disease or something else and what should we do???

SBD is when they float at the top upside down and can't right themselves very easy. It could be that the algae control was at too high a concentration. I'd suggest a big PWC in it's holding tank and put it back in so it has room to move around. What are the water parameters of the 29g?

If it's eating, peas (shelled) are good for cleaning out it's system. You can also PM Jsoong, he's the resident expert on goldies and very helpful.

He's bent real bad I just put him back in tank and I'm about to change the water, I tried to add an attachment but it didn't work for some reason

I don't think this had anything to do with aging of ur goldfish. But when ur goldfish is curled up into a c shape. There are many reasons for it. And sometimes it's very hard to treat it. But all u can do now is make sure that ur water parameters are at it's best and do u have a liquid test kit?
Also try mr limpet method feed it green peas, skin removed ofc!

Could be were you have changed him from one place to the other as the habitat changes fish seem to get more stressed with the changes he will be fine in the pond in the winter the bottom of the pond is warm turn your filter off for winter and he will be fine get back to me if problem carries on

He's been switching habitats for nearly eight years and he's never had a problem I just don't know

Could be were you have changed him from one place to the other as the habitat changes fish seem to get more stressed with the changes he will be fine in the pond in the winter the bottom of the pond is warm turn your filter off for winter and he will be fine get back to me if problem carries on

The chances of a fish surviving in a pond over a winter depends highly on several factors. Not all ponds are survivable. A dirt bottom pond, of sufficient depth (deep enough to not freeze all the way to the bottom) with a hole maintained in the surface for gas exchange will allow a fish a fair chance of surviving. But a hard sided pond, or one with a liner, lowers the chances considerably. And if that pond is in an area where the pond freezes all the way down...well, IME survivability drops to unacceptable levels.

I have hard-sided ponds. All of my fish (28) come inside every October and live in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub in my basement for the winter. The water gets to just under 50 degrees, so they mostly just doze until spring...and then they go outside again for the summer.

But back to the OP's original problem...it would be helpful to know the water parameters in the tank...pH, ammonia and nitrates especially. Also, how often were water changes being done before the algea showed up? I am wondering if the water quality had slowly gone bad (possibly enabling the algea to develop), but the fish had adapted to it as best he could...and then the addition of the algea chemicals tipped him over the edge.

I'm betting that's the problem, my granma is 74 and my granpa has been confined to a hospital bed for nearly 2 years, the tank is probably not in the best condition, I bet the water hasn't been changed in a long time

Back
Top Bottom