Goldfish eating air?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My ryukins at the too gulping air. My tank is well oxgynated . Why is he doing this? Its not nonstop but just alot all of a sudden.

Hmm. I have that brand's heater and it works good.

Are you sure it's working properly ATM?

And probably a dumb question, but needs to be asked. I'm not sure how long you've had it. Is it new at all? Is it for the correct tank size?

Hmm. I have that brand's heater and it works good.

Are you sure it's working properly ATM?

And probably a dumb question, but needs to be asked. I'm not sure how long you've had it. Is it new at all? Is it for the correct tank size?

Got it yesterday and and it says for a 100 gallons my tank is 55 gallons. And it's the only one doing it my other famines are fine.

Okay, so I did a bit of research.

Do you have a test kit? Have you tested for ammonia?

It sounds like fish will do that if they are suffering from ammonia poisoning. If your tank really is oxygenated enough which it sounds like it is, then it sounds like an ammonia problem that's affecting your fish's gills. It's quite possible the fish is more sensitive than your others.

The only thing you can do is 50% water changes to clear out the ammonia. Get some Quick Start from API. It clears out ammonia.

Okay, so I did a bit of research.

Do you have a test kit? Have you tested for ammonia?

It sounds like fish will do that if they are suffering from ammonia poisoning. If your tank really is oxygenated enough which it sounds like it is, then it sounds like an ammonia problem that's affecting your fish's gills. It's quite possible the fish is more sensitive than your others.

The only thing you can do is 50% water changes to clear out the ammonia. Get some Quick Start from API. It clears out ammonia.

Ammonia is really low like almost 0. And I did a 30% water change yesterday.

Hmm... That is very strange. I'm sorry I don't know how much more I can help :(
I did my best I really did!
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you out

How are your ph, nitrite and nitrate levels? What is the temp? Did this happen after the wc yesterday or out of the blue today? What type of water conditioner are you using? Did you feed anything new? Did anyone use aerosol sprays or powders anywhere in the vicinity of the tank? Just trying run through possible causes to try and figure out what's going on here!

How are your ph, nitrite and nitrate levels? What is the temp? Did this happen after the wc yesterday or out of the blue today? What type of water conditioner are you using? Did you feed anything new? Did anyone use aerosol sprays or powders anywhere in the vicinity of the tank? Just trying run through possible causes to try and figure out what's going on here!

Nitrite is very low also ph is a little high like 8. And yes it did,same food as always, its called start right by jungle, and not that i know of.

When you say "same food," what food do you mean? Is it flake food?

Goldfish who are developing what I call "floatiness" issues (head standing, difficulty in righting to swim, etc.) will often go to the surface after eating a food that's causing the problem and gulp bubbles and make an actual "smacking" noise that makes you get up and go over to the tank to look. They look like they are gasping at the surface.

When you say "same food," what food do you mean? Is it flake food?

Goldfish who are developing what I call "floatiness" issues (head standing, difficulty in righting to swim, etc.) will often go to the surface after eating a food that's causing the problem and gulp bubbles and make an actual "smacking" noise that makes you get up and go over to the tank to look. They look like they are gasping at the surface.

Its the food i told her about before its my lfs food that they make and it sinks.

That is very odd. Are they still doing this? When was the last time you added a new fish?

It was only one and she seemed to have stopped must of been a one night thing but ill keep an eye on her. And i just added a new fish two days ago.

Is maybe your tank overcrowded? And the fish are needing more air than what you have?

6 fancies three are 4' one 3' and two are 2' they're relatively small. And I have two of the hoses and both are cranked up so I think I have enough oxygen.

6 fancies three are 4' one 3' and two are 2' they're relatively small. And I have two of the hoses and both are cranked up so I think I have enough oxygen.

That's pushing it in a 55.

How often do you do water changes, and how large a change when you do?

That's pushing it in a 55.

How often do you do water changes, and how large a change when you do?

Around 30-50% a week. When i brought a water sample to my lfs they said they wouldnt of guessed i had goldfish in there. And i may possibly get a 75 in the future if i find a good enough deal on one. A 75 should be sufficient enough to hold the six and my clown right?

Back
Top Bottom