goldfish friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my boyfriend and I are looking into a bigger tank for our lionhead goldfish and he would like to put something in with her. He doesn't know freshwater and I don't know a whole lot about goldfish. So, what all can you put in with a lionhead?

First, we need to know the size and what filter you're using...id suggest your boyfriend really does his research before he upgrades, then asks us questions otherwise well just give you some links to the millions of sites on google...

If it's one fish you would only want, then why ask for hat other fish can live with them... I'd strongly suggest he buys the biggest size he can instead slowly upgrading, to save money and space. Also, he could add about 5 fancy goldfish with adequate filtration and weekly water changes. Add a powerhead pointing towards the bottom to keep the waste suspended so the filter can suck it up before it becomes toxic and burrows in the substrate.

What type of company are you considering for Pudgie? Another lionhead or a ranchu would be ideal as they are similarly handicapped in respect to their swimming abilities and physical build. What size tank are you considering?

Look into something larger now rather than later. 30-40g would be a better fit and will prevent aggression issues that will likely happen in a 20 from simple lack of space.

I agree with the 30-40 gallon. Why spend money on the 20 just to have to turn around and get a 40 later?

I also agree on the idea of another similarly shaped goldfish to avoid issues of one out competing the other for food.

That's absolutely understandable. If you decide to go 20 for now, I would stick with just the one goldie. Once you're settled and can get a 40+ then I would add more.

Is a 40 the minimum for two goldfish like ours? I don't wanna cause them problems, but we're limited somewhat on what all we can do. We're looking at Petco's $1/gallon thing they almost always have on and when they don't they're still the cheapest I've seen. We're gonna see what we can do later on today when we're both off work and can sit down and discuss it. But it's for sure we want a friend for Pudgie.

Most hobbyists recommend 30 gallons for one goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional goldfish.

So a 40 is the recommended minimum. At the pet store nearby that has a huge area of fish (my boyfriend couldn't pull me in another direction - my eyes were like ecstatic) they had a tank with just orandas in it. Would those be good friends? Or something not compatible? I'm just throwing out a type I remember and asking. Not trying to defy you all's recommendations. They didn't have a tank that said lionheads, but how can you tell the difference? The Walmart I got Pudgie from had her labelled as an oranda and I was told on here that she's a lionhead.

Orandas have a dorsal fin and typically have a long flowing tail. They are also wen goldfish like your lionhead but your lionhead lacks a dorsal and has a very short, 'tucked' tail. You would probably be fine with an oranda but just keep an eye on feeding time as the oranda is more powerful swimmer.

Have you checked Craigslist for any deals? They are not every day but if you keep watch, you may find a steal. I do agree that if your going to a 20 next, wait on another fish until you have the room for larger tank. :)

It's not really room. It's more what we can do. I might see if he likes Pudgie in with a red cap oranda. Call me crazy, but those were the goldfish I fell in love with just because they looked like their brains were showing out the top of their head.

It's not really room. It's more what we can do. I might see if he likes Pudgie in with a red cap oranda. Call me crazy, but those were the goldfish I fell in love with just because they looked like their brains were showing out the top of their head.

Haha they do kind of look like that. I love my red cap Orandas, they have such fun personalities. One is named Pumpkin Head.

I think a red cap Oranda should be fine with Pudgie. They may bump each other around the first few days like mine did (to work out a pecking order I guess) but then settle down. Make sure you do frequent water changes and have good filtration and keep an eye on them during feeding like others have said. Do you know if Pudgie is a male or female? Are you going to quarantine the new one?

Pudgie is a girl. I'm not sure about quarantining the new one. On one hand I can more easily watch for issues, but on the other, if I add them at the same time, there's less chance of one getting territorial.

The fish from the petstore could be carrying unseen illnesses that could infect your boyfriends fish.. I quarantine new fish for at least two weeks. I think a month is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom