Goldfish fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachey175

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I'm just new here but had a little question,

I found eggs in my tank and removed them in to their own 15l tank, they hatched after 4 days and I think there's about 100 fry.

Their now 7 days old but yesterday and today I've found 5 dead fry (2 yesterday and 3 today) I do a 50% water change daily and feed them liquifry, water is filtered. Yesterday I gave them egg yolk for the first time, they seem to love it but could that be anything to do with the 5 fry dying?

Is there any tests for the water or anything I should buy from pet store? As you can tell I'm new to this as didn't mean to breed them. Thanks.

Also how long should I leave egg yolk I'm before trying to remove?

Gold fish fry or carp in general have high mortality rates due to high amounts of genetic issues that arise from their high spawning numbers. I honestly have never removed fry from their parents because of the number of fry they produce, way to many gold fish and no place to put them. I get about 1 or 2 survivors a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your reply, maybe 5 in the week isn't so bad then. Wondered if it was something I was doing wrong but the rest seem fine. Is it likely a few more will die then?

I maybe shouldn't have removed them but when I first saw the eggs and saw the goldfish eating them I thought I was best to. Luckily we have 2 more spare tanks so going to set them up for them. Some friends family etc have said they would like a few too so hopefully they will all have homes.

Thanks again :)

I don't remove the fry from my pond and get anywhere from 10 to 20 fry each year. Probably just adding a lot of floating plants and putting them back in the tank would be substantial for them (I would think a new tank would be a bit stressful for their fragile developing bodies) This will ensure your goldfish population isn't overwhelmingly huge and you still get some new goldfish. :) survival of the fittest.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom