Goldfish growing at different rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may seem like a really dumb question (I am a complete novice), but why do some Fantail goldfish grow at much fast rates than others, and with different body shapes?

My "babies" are growing in very different ways, and I am worried I might be doing the wrong thing by them in their feeding routine.

Mr Stripes (the orange guy in the pics below) is easily several times bigger than he was when I bought him in August 2013. He is also lean and long. Spotty, on the other hand (the calico fellow), who has always had a more rotund shape, is growing more slowly and is much rounder.

They are both very good eaters!

I have noticed the same phenomenon in my other tank. Jasper has grown massively since I rescued him in November, 2013, while Oscar and Rupert are growing much more slowly. Jasper has a long, lean shape while the other two are shorter and rounder.

I make sure everyone gets a fair share of food by watching them closely during mealtimes, so their environment is similar. But I am worried as I don't really know how much to feed - I feed them the following, and would like advice as to whether I am over feeding:

1. Breakfast - Hakari pellets - what they can eat in 5 minutes, but I sprinkle a very few around the tank for them to find later as a surprise, which they love searching for.

2. Dinner - either the same as above or frozen brine shrimp.

3. Supper - peas (they won't touch any other veggie, but love chewing on their hair grass).

If feeding is ok, is it genetics? Possibly Mr Stripes and Jasper have some Common Goldfish background?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390267026.539334.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390267115.554640.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390267146.788082.jpg

You have some beautiful fish! :) The center fish--the one in the second picture, right in the middle--looks like a comet. I have two comets myself and he's like their big brother twin. :)

In the first picture, the orange fish on the far right looks like he could be a common. Comets and commons can grow up to 12+ inches and need 100 gallons of water per fish, which, if my identification is correct, is why they're growing so incredibly fast. I watched my two comets grow a full inch in less than three weeks!
Hope that explains at least some of the mystery. :) Your babies are gorgeous!

Dear Greta,
Thank you for your reply and compliments :)

I should have said that all of my fishies have double rather than single tails. It is perhaps possible Mr Stripes and Jasper have a mix of Fantail and Common/Comet.

I would agree, they have to be some kind of a mix. Mr. Stripes and Jasper look just like my Juliette and Johanna Maudie. :)

The double tail is more visible in those pictures. He's recovered beautifully from his initial sad start. A testament to how well you've cared for him! :)
My comets were inherited from a friend who kept them in less than two cups of water for almost a year. And yet somehow, they're miraculously not dead or stunted. Three cheers for fish with strong survivor instincts! :)

Your poor fish!

For information in helping me out - I have two separate tanks as follows:

Tank A: Mr Stripes, Spotty, LM and Goldie - fantails, currently in an interim tank of 150L.

Tank B: Jasper, Rupert and Oscar - fantails, but Jasper has v deformed tail fins (not fin rot), currently in an interim tank of 150L.

:)

So 40 gallons in each tank, approximately, and you said in the other thread that you're hoping to upgrade to possibly 100 (400 liters). Is that one 100 gallon tank that combines both or two 100 gallon tanks? I'm assuming the former. If so, you'll be overstocked for sure, but your fish will still be way better off than in that 8 Liters of water. :)

Hi there, no, I'd keep them in their discrete groups - so, two tanks.

What do you think the min size of tank would be?

I am pretty good with water changes. For the cycled tank, I do 50% water changes 2-3 times a week; the uncycled tank gets 50% every second day to daily. For both tanks, I do 50% everyday when the temp gets over 40degrees Celsius (we had mid 40s most of last week).

Two 100 gallon tanks? That's amazing!
Three fancies in 100 gallon is good. Yes, the rule of thumb is 55 per fish, but really very few pet fancies get that. I think you'll have very happy, healthy fish in that tank.
For the tank with four, if you can possibly push the 100 gallon to a 150, you'd buy yourself a measure of safety. If not, 100 gallons is still an entire world beyond what some of them started with in the 8 Liters of water! :)
Your water change schedule is incredible. I wish more people took care of their goldies like you, sincerely. (Maybe people at this website do. I know they sure didn't at the last place I was at.) I hope you have a Python water changer to help you! When you have the larger tanks, you definitely won't have to work quite so hard to keep them healthy. :) I remember the days when I was changing my comets' tank 80% twice a day with buckets because I inherited them unexpected, the tank was WAY too small, and it was uncycled to boot. *shudder*

Thanks! I love them to bits - they are such sweethearts! I am about to start saving for their upgraded tanks, as they are growing so quickly.

My sister thinks I'm mad as she says her two Fantails are fine in their 25 litre tank, and that my fish are fat :-(

6 gallons for two fantails? :( :( Your fish are beautiful. Her fish, sadly, are probably emaciated from water toxins and stress. I saw a story not too long ago, with pictures, of a nine-year-old goldfish kept for its entire life in a 10 gallon. The owner wasn't cruel, she just didn't know better. Tried desperately to save it at the end when it became ill and she sought help and found out the problem. But it was too late. The fish was skeletal even though there's no way that nice lady was neglecting to feed it. It just couldn't keep any weight on because of the terrible conditions. So, so sad. :(

Greta and JLK,

Can you help me with my question on feeding?

Everyone tells me all of my fish are obese. I have posted the water changing and feeding schedule earlier in this thread. I have only had fish since August, 2013 and really need some guidance.

Thank you :)

For starters, your goldfish don't look remotely obese to me. They look beautifully healthy. The care you take with them is evident. :)

Your feeding schedule seems fine to me. I would question the frozen brine shrimp, maybe. I've heard they can cause digestive problems, but am not 100% positive. JLK is having trouble logging onto AA due to a technical glitch, but she can weigh in on whether or not that information is accurate. Similarly, I thought I'd read that peas every day could strip a goldie's digestive system of valuable nutrients, but I could be totally wrong. But one thing I know I'm right about is how NOT fat your fish look. They look perfect. A model of fishy health. :)

Dear G,
Thank you for you words of encouragement. I have been worried and rather upset at everyone saying how fat my fish are.

I would be very interested to find out more about whether or not peas and frozen brine shrimp are ok. All my fishies love both! I can't get them interested in eating other veggies, but they will occasionally eat orange. I thought the brine shrimp was ok, but will cut it out if it is a prob.

Perhaps someone knows?

JLK will know for sure. She may just still be having trouble logging in. In the meantime, just keep doing what you're doing unless she tells you otherwise. Very clearly, your fish are healthy, so you're doing something very right! :)

Your doing a great job! Your fish look healthy and fine. Definitely some common/comet in the fantails though!

Brine shrimp is fine as long as its not fed excess or exclusively (and its defrosted type). Fry are the exception to this. Same goes for peas or bloodworms or anything else. Moderation as well as variation will keep their diets reasonably balanced and ensure their digestive tracts are kept functioning in top shape. :)

Back
Top Bottom