Goldfish has been getting progressively skinnier and recently a new bulge appeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mw28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I just signed up so apologies if I'm not posting with the correct information.

My tank is full of comet goldfish that I've had for 9 years now. In the last half year, one fish got progressively extremely skinny, unfortunately it died - after a while, its behaviours were: didn't eat, repeatedly tried to jump out of the water and would hit the tank really hard. Advice from Aquarium shop owners told me to put pimafix in it which never worked.

Weeks later, I noticed another fish showing the same symptoms (getting very skinny). This was 3-4 months ago. Since then, I've tried Blue Planet's Paracide, which made no difference, and Blue Planet's Fluke & Tapeworms (only did 1 dosage and didn't re-dose), at the moment, dosing with Pimafix for fungal treatment on another fish.

I'm struggling to identify what the issue with the skinny fish is, it's belly has sunken in and just this morning I noticed a small bulge at the colon area of it. Really at my wits end and want to get them all healthy again. I noticed yet another fish starting to get skinny as well.

Water parameters were tested at the aquarium shop, all levels were fine, and I've been trying to change the waters once every week or week and a half. I should also note that I don't see my fish poo anymore (including the sick fish and one that died), but when I feed it blanched kale, I see green poo on the bottom of the tank but unsure which fish it's from.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on identifying the disease and how I can treat it, thank you

If it's eating and still getting skinnier I imagine that internal parasites would be to blame. It would also explain the weird poo. I know aquarium salt is something you can try. But I would definitely do research on parasites to see if it sounds enough like what is going on before treating the tank.

I agree that it is parasitic. I would try prazipro/praziquantel and if that doesn't work you may need something stronger like fenbendazole or levamisole.

Back
Top Bottom