Goldfish has ich? Or Sand in their wen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do these guys look like they have ich? I can't tell if it's that or they have real sand stuck on their wens. I noticed it after putting them in their new tank with sand substrate. The white stuff is only on their wens. Otherwise they seem healthy and eating well. They were rutting around in the sand like crazy, so maybe some is still stuck in their wens? I really can't tell. Only these 2 with the wens have it.

Short history: set up a 75 gal to move them from their old 30 gal. Put pool filter sand in the new tank (rinsed sand really well first) Added some filter media that has good bacteria from old filter to new filter. Added 4 fish after a week. Parameters stayed constant with no ammonia or nitrates. BUT I thought they were eating sand because 2 of them ( not these two) got very bloated and would sink like lead balloons. So I put them all back in the old tank, which is still cycled, and fed peas. Fish were perfectly normal the next day, not bloated and swimming fine. They had pooped what looked like bags of sand. :( So for the new tank, decided to just go bare bottom and remove sand. Maybe I just worry too much, but I think a bare bottom will be be better.

I want to get them back in the new tank, but need to figure out if they are sick first.

New tank parameters: Am 0, NO2 0, N03 10-20, ph 8.2, gh 12, kh 9.
Old tank: am 0, N02 0, N03 20, ph 8.2, gh 13, kh 8

When they were in the new tank, we had record high temps, and the water was about 72 degrees. It's usually about 65.

Should I get a soft cloth and give their heads a little cleaning? :)

Also, I started them all on a course of Medigold because moving to the new tank was stressful and I wanted to make sure their immune systems are up. Not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Sorry this was so long. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image-3398542874.jpg
    image-3398542874.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-961229848.jpg
    image-961229848.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2153565957.jpg
    image-2153565957.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1721153175.jpg
    image-1721153175.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,497
  • image-3042922451.jpg
    image-3042922451.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3300232978.jpg
    image-3300232978.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 96
White growth on the wen is actually very normal for young orandas, especially when they are going through a growth spurt.

If your fish had ich, it would look like it was sprinkled with salt.

No wen cleaning! It looks like normal wen growth to me. You may even occasionally see little strings/fuzz pop out. Just make sure they are getting a good diet and you keep the water prisitine. Its theoried that wen goldfish may suffer a low grade infection during wen growth periods but its nothing to be concerned about and I would not medicate in the future unless theres a reason- they just need good food and very clean water. As they are already on the MG, I would finish the course to prevent resistant bugs.

White growth on the wen is actually very normal for young orandas, especially when they are going through a growth spurt.

If your fish had ich, it would look like it was sprinkled with salt.

Whew, thank goodness.

You are absolutely correct, she is having a growth spurt.

Now looks like she is wearing a cute little orange Mohawk. ;)

I have to say, I'm normally "eh" about goldfish but your 5th pic where she's looking right at the camera... Omg I am all rubbery she's so CUUUUUUTE!

No wen cleaning! It looks like normal wen growth to me. You may even occasionally see little strings/fuzz pop out. Just make sure they are getting a good diet and you keep the water prisitine. Its theoried that wen goldfish may suffer a low grade infection during wen growth periods but its nothing to be concerned about and I would not medicate in the future unless theres a reason- they just need good food and very clean water. As they are already on the MG, I would finish the course to prevent resistant bugs.

Ok, no wen cleaning even tho it's sooooo tempting . . .

I think I jumped the gun on the MG but got a little worried. Will finish the course tho. Thanks again!

I have to say, I'm normally "eh" about goldfish but your 5th pic where she's looking right at the camera... Omg I am all rubbery she's so CUUUUUUTE!

LoL, I like that photo, too - she looks all surprised, like she was up to something. :)

Back
Top Bottom