Goldfish identification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I originally thought this was an oranda because it has a little bit of headgrowth coming in but my buddy thinks it could be a pearlscale because its body is a lot fatter than the rest of my other goldfishes? But the the thing is he has flat scales not the dome scales but he also has the same finnage as one? Could any of you help me with this issue?

image-1376031590.jpg

Heres a pic of the little dude.

Pearls have very distinct 'pearled' scales that appear like bumps rather than flat scales. He has normal finnage expected of any average fantail/fancy goldfish. Nothing unusual in respect to the finnage. If you are starting to see wen development, then its more likely an oranda rather than just an average fantail. The rounded body shape I would expect to see any fancy variety of goldfish thats well fed though 'he' may possibly be a 'she' but its too early to tell definitively. Definitely not a ryukin.

Pearls have very distinct 'pearled' scales that appear like bumps rather than flat scales. He has normal finnage expected of any average fantail/fancy goldfish. Nothing unusual in respect to the finnage. If you are starting to see wen development, then its more likely an oranda rather than just an average fantail. The rounded body shape I would expect to see any fancy variety of goldfish thats well fed though 'he' may possibly be a 'she' but its too early to tell definitively. Definitely not a ryukin.

Yes i know about the domed scales which is why i asked the question and yes agreed definitely not a ryukin i already have two of those haha but thanks i guess it is an oranda after all!

I would have guessed ryukin too. At least there's not a prize involved.

I've seen a lot of ryukins in shops without their humps developed. When I looked at the picture I thought it may have been showing the beginning of one.

Hey I think it's a fantail, I've got 2 of them and even though my white one has developed a hump it doesn't look as obvious and large as a ryukin's.

I bought mine from pets at home (I know it's not the best place to buy fish haha) and they were labelled as orandas. They clearly don't know their fish, well the one near mine doesn't anyway.

Hey I think it's a fantail, I've got 2 of them and even though my white one has developed a hump it doesn't look as obvious and large as a ryukin's.

I bought mine from pets at home (I know it's not the best place to buy fish haha) and they were labelled as orandas. They clearly don't know their fish, well the one near mine doesn't anyway.

Fantails are lovely looking fish anyway, yours is no exception :)

Back
Top Bottom