Goldfish in a 4g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know very little about goldfish. My daughter got a 4g tank, and wants to keep a goldfish or two. I know that they can get quite large, but are there any varieties that don't get very big?

Short answer - NO.

Single tailed varieties gets to be 12+", and really need a pond.

Fancies get to be 4-6" and will still be too big for a 4g. Even keeping babies in such a small tank requires a lot of work to prevent disasters, and definitely not for newbies. Esp. when kids are involved, you are setting them up for a lot of heartaches. If you want golds to live more than a month or 2 (the typical miserible lives of the ones kept in bowls & small setups), you need at least a 20 gal.

For a 4 gal, I would suggest a betta or may be a dwarf gourami. If you have an unheated tank, a couple or 3 white cloud minnows.

nope sadly there isn't, even feeder fish, the small 20 cent goldfish get over a foot long, and 4g is so small, a goldfish would have it filthy in justa few hours, the golden rule is, 1 goldfish per 29 gallosn of water

If I can, I will post a pic of my tiny, tiny Ryukin that went from barely two inches to almost 10 inches in a few short weeks. Lol! Some of these little ones will get huge!

Try a few suggested here, see if you like having the tank and then go get a bigger one...lol. MTS in the beginning stages folks!

Back
Top Bottom