Goldfish or No Goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When thinking of a sponge filters, try to picture a tube with a cog-shaped sponge on it. This sits inside the tank....you use an air pump, and airline to power it. The airline is run into the sponge filter, and the sponge filter cleans the water

Hang on back filters, which many of us use, have a tube hanging into the water, which pulls water into a container, that hangs on your tank. The water is filtered through the media and pours back into the tank

Canisters works in a similar fashion, pulling water from the tank to the unit and cleaning it, then releasing it back into the tank

I'm not familiar with the sump

I'm talking about a sponge filter that you put inside your tank, with your fish. A lot of us goldfish junkies use them. They are cheap to purchase, easy to set-up and they not only clean your water but they also add aeration and good water movement which is a plus when dealing with goldfish. Just rinse them off in tank water once a week or so.

All right, that certainly helps. I decided to go with a H.O.B. filter from AquaClear. I may add a sponge filter in the future for some extra filtration.

Update: So, the 55 gallon tank turned out to be a 45 gallon. I don't know if the lady just thought it was a 55 gallon and didn't bother to check before selling it or what (I'm going to try to think the best). I still got it for crazy cheap, so yay?
Also, I discovered today that you can totally use the wrong ammonia when doing a fishless cycle, which is exactly what I've been doing for the last month. So, I'm suddenly super behind schedule. Does anyone have an estimate on how long it would take to cycle a tank if I were to add already matured media to the tank? Is it better to just start a cycle when I add the fish, or should I go ahead and start a cycle and risk adding the fish before it's completed?

With a full filter amount it could be next to instant, but with just a partial chunk of filter pad it can be shortened and also just start with stocking low and careful to not over feed and keep up with pwc.

Yeah, make sure to avoid ammonia that contains surfactants.
On the media, definitely get some if you can, I have added fish before a cycle was complete or even with out starting (fish in cycling), it can be done safely but you have to be very on top of water changes during this time. My last fish in cycle only had 3 small fish in a 29 gallon but I still had to do water changes every other day to keep levels safe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have cycled both with and without fish

The 35gallon tank that was left with me to winter the goldfish in, I set up with a piece of media from my existing tank, and fed with a pinch daily of goldfish flakes. I did not do water changes but ran the filters for 2weeks, and it was ready when the goldfish got here

My 29gallon crashed after I changed substrate so it was a fish-in cycle with low stock....it took 3weeks

My Betta tank was also fish in due to the concern of Keeping fish in bowls....with weekly water changes and close watch, it was four weeks to cycle the ten gallon with one fish

I always use Prime, and if anything spikes I do a 25-50% water change, adding Prime to neutralize toxins as well as chlorine

Yeah, make sure to avoid ammonia that contains surfactants.
On the media, definitely get some if you can, I have added fish before a cycle was complete or even with out starting (fish in cycling), it can be done safely but you have to be very on top of water changes during this time. My last fish in cycle only had 3 small fish in a 29 gallon but I still had to do water changes every other day to keep levels safe.

So out of curiosity, what happens when I use ammonia that has surfactants? I'm trying to figure out if I need to change my filter media before I try to cycle it again.

So out of curiosity, what happens when I use ammonia that has surfactants? I'm trying to figure out if I need to change my filter media before I try to cycle it again.

Ammonia with surfactants is similar to splashless bleach, it's a thickening agent that is very sudsy/bubbly, if introduced to the water column it can be like adding dish soap to a washing machine.

Sorry it's been so long since my last reply. It's been crazy busy around here, and our internet has been slow.

The last time I checked our taps oh, it was 8.2 ppm. I did buy some Seachem neutral regulator, so I should probably check it again soon.

Anyways! My trip to the mainland was insane. Our flight got cancelled, and our poor fish went from a bag for five hours, to a hotel ice bucket overnight, to a 1 gallon jug until we got them home and acclimated to their new 45 gallon house. I did end up with four fish. There's a black moor, a pom-pon, a lionhead, and what I think is an oranda. Don't quote me on that last one, it's honestly my best guess. They seem to be doing all right. I thought I saw a white spot the other day, so I'm treating the tank with some Seachem Paraguard just to be safe.

Attachments

• IMG_20170228_104641046.jpg
    IMG_20170228_104641046.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170228_175711497.jpg
    IMG_20170228_175711497.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20170228_111349530.jpg
    IMG_20170228_111349530.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 56
So nice to see that they are nice looking and you have some room! What poopers they are (from your pic)!!!

I almost got one last night at our club mini fish auction (6 inch), but someone else needed her more than me.

Yay!!!

Back
Top Bottom