Goldfish profile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wanting to post a goldfish profile for fancies in general in the fish and plant profile section so people can reference from it.However, I've only owned one goldfish, a common who I kept in a tropical tank and didn't get very big.So does anyone have some more detailed goldfish information,pertaining to fancies?I know the minimum tank size,temp,etc -basic stuff.
Thank you!
emerald76:fish2:
These are the items I need/have already(got from fishlore.com)-

Fancy Goldfish-Carassius Auratus

Synonyms: None

Common Names: Calico Veiltail, Comet, Black Moor, Bubble eye, Lionhead, Ranchu, Oranda, Pearl Scale, Ryukin, Panda, Fantail, Shubunkin (calico), Tosakin, Orange Fantail, Black Fantail, Pompon, Celestial, Telescope, etc.

Category: Goldfish

Family: Cyniprids(?)

Origin: China

Main Ecosystem: ?

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperment: Peaceful

Diet: Omnivore

Care: Need frequent water changes and over-filtration.Fancy Goldfish need very stable water conditions.

pH: 6-7.5

Temperature: 40°F - 80°F (5°C - 27°C)

Hardness: 5° to 20° dH

Potential size: Average 3-5 inches

Water Region: Anywhere in tank

Activity: Dinurnal(?)

Lifespan: 10-30 years when properly cared for

Color: Orange, red, yellow, gold, white, black, blue, gray, purple

Mouth: Normal

Sexing: Males may display small white tubercles around gills. Females will noticeably swell with eggs.

Acclimation: Drip is preferred,as in for any fish. You may be able to get by with floating as goldfish are hardy. To drip acclimate, pour fish and water into a container that has not been contaminated with soap. Tie a knot in a siphon and insert in tank.Insert other end into holding container. Drip until water in container doubles.Remove 1/2 water and repeat once more.Gently net fish and release in aquarium.

Breeding: Not very common in home aquariums but you can try. Make sure you are ready to deal with the babies before you start your breeding program. Give them a water temperature between 75°F and 80°F. Get them ready by feeding fish food high in protein and make sure that they have good water quality. When they are ready, they will lay their eggs on vegatation on the bottom of the tank. You will have to remove the adult fish to prevent them from eating the eggs which usually hatch within 7 days. Prepare your fry foods such as infusoria and brine shrimp and have it ready in time to feed the baby goldfish.

Comments: Need 20 gallons for the first fancy goldfish and 10 gallons for every goldfish after that. Buy a filter with 6-10 times the GPH of the volume of your tank. This does not apply to common goldfish, who need multi-hundred gallon aquariums and ponds and get very large.

Sources:
fishlore.com
Is this a properly done profile?

i dunno about the rest,but i can confirm that they are cyprinids

Fancies can reach 6-12 inches. 10x the tanks volume should be filtered every hour.
Diet must include vege and a high quality sinking pellet. Commons, comets and shubunkin can reach 18inches. If your doing a fancy goldfish profile cut out the comet and shubunkin you've mentioned above.

Last edited:
Freakgecko91 said:
And it's "diurnal" instead of "dinurnal" :) just to be a spelling freak lol

Never noticed- and I'm one too! Lol
Thanks

Heres a little more specific info- im probably forgetting a bunch of things but this is just off of the top of my head. Order is cypriniformes, family is cyprinidae, genus is carassius, species is carassius auratus with over 2000 subspecies below this. They are variants of the carp species. 'Calico' and 'panda' are colors, not breeds. Most of these breeds can be further classified such as based on tail shape but these are super 'general' descriptions- broadtail, short-tail, long-tail, veiltail, butterfly. And theres a ton of crossbreeds between these fish.

I disagree with the ph completely. A ph of 6 is bad news for alot of fish, particularly goldies. Most breeders prefer a higher ph (7.5-8). I would clarify the ph as best as 'stable' but 6.8-8 range are better numbers. Same for the temp- ideal is 68-75f though fancies can tolerate lower or higher numbers.

There isnt a specific natural 'ecosystem' because fancies are a man-made creation. Size- fancies can max out over a foot though this is in ideal conditions. Some breeds do not grow quite this large (such as pearlscale), others can grow broadwise & be quite stocky & large even though they may not be quite as long. Varies greatly among the different breeds.

Another breed note- ideally, you want to house handicaps with other handicaps (ie, a bubble eye only with other bubble eyes). Research of different breeds is a must!

Sexing- males will have flatter, more streamline bodies when compared to females who will have a rounded, lopsided appearance when viewed from above. Males develop breeding tuberucles on their gill plates & pectoral fins & have a concave vent. Females will have a convex vent.

Aggression- different species can be more aggressive than others & males can be aggressive towards other males as well as towards mature females( breeding behaviors can result in a female being very injured or killed). Generally though, fancies are social creatures.

Tank size- please state this is the minimum tank requirements, ideally the more water the better! Also, substrate- sand, barebottom or large gravel (quarter size) to prevent choking risks associated with small gravel. Decor- avoid sharp items to prevent torn fins, damaged eye esp with more delicate breeds.

I can probably think of a zillion other things but this will atleast put you in the right direction! :)

Back
Top Bottom