Goldfish questions (losing scales, mystery illness, etc)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverBlaze85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I'm coming to you guys now. :) We have 2 goldfish and a feeder guppy (don't ask) in our 90 gal. Herc is the biggest, we've had him about 3 or 4 years now, and he's about 5 inches. Chuck we just got around Thanksgiving, and has already tripled his size, he's now about 3 inches. Max the guppy is small than an inch, yet the goldies don't bother him.

When we had just Herc, we noticed that if we had a drastic weather change, he'd get this slimy gray coating on him, and he was sickly. LFS guy told me to add Parasite Guard to his tank, and it helped. Awesome.

After we moved him to the big tank with Chuck, at the start of winter, we dropped about 50* in 36 hours, and yup, he got sick again. Went to the LFS, girl asked me what I was getting, I explained, and she said no no no, use Melafix. After three days, Herc was barely breathing, and I seriously thought he was dead. The filters were buffeting him around the tank, I had to sequester him in a little floating container. It was BAD. I went back to the parasite guard, and within 24 hours, he perked up.

That was about two months ago? Now he's missing some scales along his sides. A patch on his left (though, I think that MIGHT be from when he got stuck trying to get into the ship), and a scattering on his right. Maybe 5-8 scales on each side? Chuck is missing a few too (Max is too tiny to see his wee scales). Also, Chuck has been very... close to Herc the last few weeks, swimming up underneath him and 'bumping' against him, swimming SUPER close to him, it's been odd.

First off, any idea what could be causing this slimy coating? Second, any idea what could be causing the missing scales? Third: Why is Chuck suddenly so buddy-buddy with Herc?

I don't have parameters (Cat shoved all my test tubes onto the floor, and I can't find any test tubes without buying the whole kit, which I just did the week before they hit the floor, and I've been stubborn about buying ANOTHER kit), but it's a 90 gallon, 2 gold fish (one 5", one 3"), 1 feeder guppy (<1"), two HOB filters (Aquaclear 200), 1 canister filter (Plenn Plax 1000), 2 heaters set to 75* (one at either end), lights on a timer for 12 hours, and some unknown plants from the LFS (one bugger has a trail of babies from one end of the tank to the other). 50% water changes on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Attachments

• 100_2660.jpg
    100_2660.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 968
  • 100_2654.jpg
    100_2654.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2658.jpg
    100_2658.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 108
I'm no expert, but what is your pH like - I have read that a very low pH can cause probs with the slime coat on goldfish.

Also, my fancy goldfish occasionally lose scales - I think from getting stuck or scraping past something. The scales grow back with no issues if you keep the water pristine.

Hope this helps :)

You need to test your water and post results before anyone can help you. This looks to me like burning--his slime coat is sloughing off--either from ammonia burns or too low a pH, but it could be any number of things. Are you using a dechlorinator when you do your water changes?

Its not the temperature, common goldfish can take below freezing temperatures just fine. I have to agree with some kind of chemicals. Ive never seen funugs that bad so i think we can rule that out. Get these guys some seriuous slime coat addative 3x level of stress coat or something and test the other water. BTW you don't need the little test tube. Its 5ml. Always 5ml. Just get a little baby medicine squeege from walgreens and pull out 5ml worth of water into a glass and drop the test drops in there and shake the hell out of it. LOL poor guys :(

This could be a case of costia infection caused by the parasite Icthyobodo, which probably explains why the fish responded to a parasite treatment in the past.

A salt dip in 15g per litre for 15 to 30 minutes should kill this parasite and help remove excess slime from the gills.

Hope I am not too late with my suggestion??

Back
Top Bottom