goldfish tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I have idea. Can you write down the whole story about this tank and what is happening and mange throw a couple of pics in. Then we could help you properly instead of jumping on your case for things you apparently didn't do

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We pretty much have the story and it doesn't really matter at this point. There are too many goldfish in too small of a tank. We have discussed the options and now its pretty much up to fishguy (and his sister) how he (they) proceed(s).

ok, great idea. i got a 5 gallon tank with some goldfish, then one died and i felt bad because i got a new 30 gallon and woes not paying attentions to the goldfish so i gave it to my sister, then we got a free 10 gallon and put them in that, and after that, i go a 20 gallon tank that is 30 inches long and 16 inches tall and 10 thick. so now we have 3 fancy goldfish, a gold barb (will be moved today) and 5 comet goldfish (hope fully will be put in pond). they have some plants a piece of mansineta. and a Filipino skull rock (crushed coral before crushed) it has a 100 gph marineland bio wheel filter, i would like to add another. and i will be soon moving a rubberlip pleco in there.

i will post pics

here are the pics

Attachments

• IMG_7970.jpg
    IMG_7970.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7969.jpg
    IMG_7969.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7968.jpg
    IMG_7968.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7967.jpg
    IMG_7967.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 54
They look much better in there than the 10. Be sure to be keeping up some regular water changes. Any goldfish you can remove will help a lot. Like you said get another filter on there when you can.

ok all of the comets are in my ponds, and the gold barb is in a 30 gallon tank of mine, i must say it is much less enter taining and active but the fish will be much more happy.:):D

He put all the comets in his pond an removed the barb and put it in his 30g. The three fancys are still in the 20 and they plan to buy a new filter asap

He put all the comets in his pond an removed the barb and put it in his 30g. The three fancys are still in the 20 and they plan to buy a new filter asap

and I did a 5 gallon cleanout. and added some nite-out

I'm sorry Live Fish Guy ? TMRC is perfectly correct in everything he is telling you. I spoke before realizing what size tank you are moving up to (Sorry TMRC). Goldfish, produce immense amounts of waste as does that Pleco (I am assuming the most commonly available at a pet store). Please refer to JLK'S sticky on size reference for goldfish.

I cannot possibly explain to you how fast and large goldfish grow. I have a 120 gallon with 4 Fancys. My Dash is a Red Cap Oranda/Ryunkin that I purchased about a year ago. She is already humongous. Most likely there should only be two Goldfish in there. I have a Fluval FX6 Cannister on this tank. It has three trays filled with biomedia, foam around the outside of each tray and a course and fine media pad on two stages. If I rember right, it is rated for 300 gallons. The tank is well-seasoned, 4-5 years and yet I do a 75% water change every week and clean the filter with tank water every 3 Weeks.

That 20 gallon should only have 1 goldfish in it but you could definitely get away with two small if you realize that you will be upgrading again soon.

Please find a home for the Pleco. The most commonly found Pleco at pet stores grows 2' +. There are varieties that stay much, much smaller like the Rubber or Bristlenose, 4"-6".

Please do not add any more fish.

I don't wan't to hurt your feelings, so I am very sorry :ermm:

I think the best way to help you understand your problem is to take a picture of my 120 gallon so you can compare that extremely large tank to the size of the fish. My saving grace is that my Lionhead and Lionchu are much smaller than the other two and grow much more slowly. I have had them longer and yet they are still smaller. My LFS can't seem to carry pure bred fish. I will not use him anymore.

Hang in there Live Fish Guy. Please don't be offended by TMRC'S advice. He is a proffessional and only trying to help you and your fish.

120 gallon picture to be posted soon.

yea i should have been more careful, but it would be hard to get rid of them now, it is a rubber lip pleco, i do know how massive the commons get. i would love to give them a bigger tank but i can't. so i will be adding more filtration and some live plants, she has agreed to buying some

I totally understand how extremely hard it would be to part with any of your fish. I have found that it is extremely wise to double the size reccomended for the tank. Say a filter rated for 40+ gallons instead of 20. Make sure that the filter uses a large amount of biomedia or has Biowheels.

Yes, it is a Rubber Lip Plecostomous. They stay smaller than the Bristlenose. Both are shy as most Plecostomous are. I put my algae tabs in at night when they are active. Plecostomous also need plenty of good places to hide. They need bog wood/driftwood as a natural part of their digestive health. I have mine arranged so that my Bristlenose cannot only chew on it but also hide under it. I realized how much he chews on the wood when I constantly started picking up small bits of wood when I vacuum .

I realize the sedimental value to these fish but how about we think fish first, then what we want. If I'm reading this correctly there are 3 fancies in the 20 gallon tank? and the comets went into the pond?
How about everybody but one fancy goes into the pond? or throw all the goldies into the pond, and do this tank right.

Oops, need some input from other posters here but I went back and caught the steps you have taken thus far and you are definitely headed in the right direction. My concern is that coral. I kept marine tanks for several years. Coral is calcium based and extremely important in a marine environment. The problem may be that you will end up with excess calcium buildup in the tank if it is kept in water with that higher pH that Goldfish seem to love. Alkaline water has a habit of dropping excess minerals out of suspension at those pH levels. Acidic water will absorb minerals. Water has the need to contain minerals or it becomes corrosive and tries to absorb them.

oh they let out calcium, i should get one for may crayfish. but you think i should take it out, and i go have a piece of mansineta, and i will add some hiding spots. i have a bio wheel right now, what plants do you recommend for goldfish?

Back
Top Bottom