Goldfish Tank Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there, I was just wondering about the rules for Goldfish. Is it true that they need 20g per fish? So that would mean that I could only have one in a 20g? Thank you so much for reading!

Yes, from what I have read you need 20g for 1 fish and then 10g for each additional fish. I.E. for 5 fish you would need a 60g (20+10+10+10+10). These needs are due to their decent adult size and their enormous bio-load.

adadkins1 said:
Yes, from what I have read you need 20g for 1 fish and then 10g for each additional fish. I.E. for 5 fish you would need a 60g (20+10+10+10+10). These needs are due to their decent adult size and their enormous bio-load.

Erm but done people but their goldfish in bowls and stuff or are you talking about fancy goldfishes?

Well, people also put bettas in a fish bowl, which is dreadful. I am not really sure what exact types of goldfish this rule applies to as I am not really a big goldie person.

Erm but done people but their goldfish in bowls and stuff or are you talking about fancy goldfishes?

Just because they're living in there doesn't mean they're happy, or healthy for the matter. You should read this.

This rule really only applies to fancies, and probably should be used in general. Comets and common golds belong in a pond, unless you have a 300 Gallon tank for them.

Usually, it's 20G for every fancy goldfish, ten gallons for every extra one you add. Provided good filtration and maintenace.

Just because they're living in there doesn't mean they're happy, or healthy for the matter. You should read this.

This rule really only applies to fancies, and probably should be used in general. Comets and common golds belong in a pond, unless you have a 300 Gallon tank for them.

Usually, it's 20G for every fancy goldfish, ten gallons for every extra one you add. Provided good filtration and maintenace.

That clears a lot up. Just saw the size commons and other varieties can get and I agree that this should only be used for fancies.

The thing about tank size kinda goes back to my favorite phrase "Just because a fish is surviving doesn't mean it is thriving.

A Betta, Goldfish, etc. may live in a 1g fish bowl, but they will definitely not thrive like they would in the proper habitat.

bruinsbro1997 said:

Wow that help a lot never new they get that big.

Bare in mind here, the 20gal for the first fish, 10gal for each fish after is the minimum for fancies along with filtration that is atleast 10x the size of the tank (ie- 20gal needs 200gph filter). Their massive bioload & potential for monster growth is directly related to having optimum space to grow & thrive along with an adequate diet & healthy water. Not having sufficient room leads to stunting-their bodies stop growing but their organs will continue to grow leading to a premature & unpleasant demise. Normal lifespan can exceed 20years. Commons/comets/shubunkins can grow to be 12-18inches & realistically should be kept in a pond (or a giant tank). Koi can grow over 3ft & live over 200yrs. Hope this helps! :)

They get huge and grow pretty fast. My big boy was an inch when I got him, now he's almost the size of my hand!

adadkins1 said:

this does not apply to common, feeder, or koi goldfish!
but is the rule of thumb for fancies

they have HUGE bioloads need at least 10x gallons for filtration rate per hour

this does not apply to common, feeder, or koi goldfish!
but is the rule of thumb for fancies

they have HUGE bioloads need at least 10x gallons for filtration rate per hour

I sort of disagree... they need a lot of filtration and flow... biological filtration media space does not always increase with flow.

Just a quick question, what is the difference between a common and feeder goldfish? Thank you!

Just a quick question, what is the difference between a common and feeder goldfish? Thank you!

Commons & 'feeders' are basically different names for the same type of fish. Comets will have slightly longer dorsal tails than commons. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom