Goldfish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've always loved the idea of a goldfish tank, but I've never had a big enough tank. I still do not, so this is me wistfully planning for the future. If I wanted say, 3 or 4 fancy goldfish what size tank am I looking at? What types of goldfish constitute a "fancy" goldfish? Are there other fish that I can include with them? Like possible a dojo loach? I've read conflicting info about that. If I were to get dojo loaches, what size tank for a few of them, and a few Goldie's?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Go with a 75 or 90 gal. You won't regret it. Bigggg cannister filter and an ac 110 on the back stuffed with floss.. goldfish are pretty messy fish so optimal filtration on a large tank will set you up for success!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm, I was hoping more like a 50, but I may be able to make a 75 work. I'm making a sort of cabinet for my tanks and just hope I don't have to make it too big to fit a 75.

I have a dojo in my tropical community even though they are cold water fish and he loves it. Very active and eats a ton(eats almost anything I throw in there!). I highly doubt you would ever experience problems with him and a goldfish. Dojos like groups of 3+ so I would do a 75+ gallon tank if you want them AND goldfish.

Good luck!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Maybe three dojos and a few fancy goldfish in a 75 then? I'll have to build around that then. Thank you for the responses!

I think that would be fine as long as you have plenty of filtration.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you have a good current you could also look into hillstream loaches!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ryukins, shubunkins, fantail, moor, oranda, celestial, lionhead, pearlscale, and eggfish are the ones that I have heard of. I used to keep ryukins, fantails, orandas, and moors.

Thank you for answering everyone! I just upgraded my five gallon betta tank to a ten, so this project is for the future. But I like to plan early!

Oh how could I forget my best friend the dojo is also a digger. They will bury themselves in the sand sometimes and mine picks one plant each day to uproot so I always come home to one floating. So if you have plants let the frustration begin but u gotta love em!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Please don't get hillstream loach. They need pristine water conditions. Don't really belong in tanks as taken out of the wild not breed as pets. Goldfish are to messy and hillstream loach don't feed well on made food. They need a powerhead a strong current and this will bounce fancies around and can stress them. Hillstream loach belong in group s in species only tanks and even then they may not live long.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Dojo loaches I believe can work well with goldies.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Back
Top Bottom