Goldfish with anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an old 30 gal tank in storage that I'm thinking of starting back up again. I haven't had goldfish since I was a kid and was thinking about making this a goldfish tank and was curious as to if there is anything else that can live with goldfish, like some sort of bottom feeder. I vaguely remember having some sort of pleco back in the day but it may have just been in a community tank.

Also, is there anything in particular I need to consider when setting up a goldfish tank?

If you have a 30 Gal tank, and good filtration, (double-triple your tank size) you could have some cories that do well with the cooler water.

Goldfish are very filthy fish ( despite their pretty name). You'd want a big space to help fight the waste they produce.

For a 30g your looking at filtration of 300 gallons per hour for a maximum of 2 fancy goldfish. Plecos are not recommended with goldfish because they find their slime coat irresistible. Some say if you feed the pleco regularly then it won't happen. I'm not sure if its a risk worth taking. Cories IMO are not a good idea. Once the goldfish gets larger it could be able to fit the Cory in its mouth. Goldfish will try to eat anything. Cories have spines in their gills so can become logged in a goldfish's mouth causing injury or death to one or both of the fish. I have 2 large SAE in my goldfish tank and they seem to be doing well. In a 30g I wouldn't recommend them if you are having two goldies.

For a 30g your looking at filtration of 300 gallons per hour for a maximum of 2 fancy goldfish. Plecos are not recommended with goldfish because they find their slime coat irresistible. Some say if you feed the pleco regularly then it won't happen. I'm not sure if its a risk worth taking. Cories IMO are not a good idea. Once the goldfish gets larger it could be able to fit the Cory in its mouth. Goldfish will try to eat anything. Cories have spines in their gills so can become logged in a goldfish's mouth causing injury or death to one or both of the fish. I have 2 large SAE in my goldfish tank and they seem to be doing well. In a 30g I wouldn't recommend them if you are having two goldies.

So in a 30g I could probably only have 2 goldfish max than? Hmm.

SAE?

Yes. Fancy gold. So the ones with rounder bodies and double tails. Not koi or single tailed ones. Even a 30 might not be big enough once they reach a large size. SAE = Siamese algae eater.

To give you an idea of the size they reach.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f135/why-fancy-goldfish-require-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Gotcha. That link definitely puts things into perspective. Years ago I worked for a LFS for a summer (I did the grunt work doing water changes and stocking shelves etc.) and I do recall seeing full grown fancy goods that size now that I think about it. I wish they were still around. Always had interesting stock and the owner knew his stuff.

It's going to be a while before I can afford to set the tank up again anyway so I'll have to think about what I really want to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom