Goldfish with bent tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CDGQY

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 17 goldfish (formerly feeder fish) outdoors in a 100 gallon galvanized trough. (I plan to acquire a 200 trough soon, and I know that is still too small.) The fish are a couple of years old, and have thus far remained healthy. However last week I found one on its side in the plants. I isolated him and days later he is still alive. His tail is bent and the scales around the bend appear slightly abraded which has led me to think he sustained some sort of injury. He appears healthy otherwise with clear eyes, good color, intact fins, etc. He is eating well. He is currently in an aerated bowl that I partially submerged in the large tank. Should I keep him isolated? If isolation is to continue, he’d need to be moved to a larger tank indoors which would be warmer overall since it wouldn’t cool down greatly at night. Should some type of medication be added to the water? If released back into the large tank while injured, would he be set upon by his curious tankmates? Should I return him to the large tank and his tankmates and hope for the best? Perhaps there are better ideas? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello CD...

I keep Comets and some other Goldfish and I would keep the fish separated for a few more days, just to be safe. Without some background in fish biology it's difficult to say if there's anything really wrong with the fish. It could be just an injury and with good water conditions and isolation for a few days, the fish will more than likely be fine. After a few days or a week, if the fish maintains good color and is eating, I would put it back in the tank with the others.

B

a large plastic tub will make a decent qt to keep outside just find a way to protect it from predators.

Do some checking into parasites. Worms will often cause a bent and twisting in the body. Also vitamin deficiency. As to what kind I am not sure how to tell. Try an additional / new quality food mentioning that it contains vitamins and minerals.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. To update: A few weeks ago I introduced a gel food which I alternate with flakes or presoaked pellets, all good quality (I believe). It’s too hot here for a plastic tub outside so I brought him in and turned down the air conditioning. I began a Maracyn treatment. He is still alive but does not show any signs of change or improvement. All of the goldfish in the big tank appear healthy. I haven’t returned him to the big tank in case he is infectious, and I fear he’d been unable to eat enough without assistance given the competition. I’m unsure of what to do at this point other than continuing what I’ve been doing in spite of it not working. I can only hope he isn’t suffering.

Back
Top Bottom