Good 10 gallon fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyH2O

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to start a 10 gallon aquarium for my boys ( 7&8 years old) room. They love my 72 gallon saltwater tank and want an aquarium in their room. It has been a long time since I had a freshwater community tank. I was just looking for some cool fish ideas that will not outgrow a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium.

SaltyH2O said:
I want to start a 10 gallon aquarium for my boys ( 7&8 years old) room. They love my 72 gallon saltwater tank and want an aquarium in their room. It has been a long time since I had a freshwater community tank. I was just looking for some cool fish ideas that will not outgrow a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium.

Well do you want schooling? Individual? Certain kind? Certain color? There are plenty to chose from. I like endlers, killifish, dwarf cories, and bettas. But that's just me:)

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think it would be cool to have some snails, beta, small school of ? Fish. Or maybe go with frogs. I guess I need to take my boys to the LFS to get some ideas on what they want and get the tank setup for cycling. If anybody else has a suggestion please share, its helpful.

I guess I need to take my boys to the LFS to get some ideas on what they want and get the tank setup for cycling.

That's the way to go ... window shop at your LFS's to get ideas, but I'd say don't buy yet. Compare the fish and see what comes about.

Another possible option for shoaling fish are harlequin rasboras. Once settled in a tank I've read they get some nice coloration ... just to help make your decision a little more complex(y).

I'm a big fan of a centerpiece fish and a medium sized school. I really love the harlequin rasbora's although in a 10G you might want to consider the dwarf rasboras and a school around 5 or so. Also ghost shrimp make something fun to watch and they make good cleaners. I put snails in my 10G tank now i'm regretting it, they reproduce like bunnies!

Back
Top Bottom