Good Beginner Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Jobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29gal sw tank with live rock. I bought a new Power Compact light with 2 65watt 10000k and acintic blue bulbs. I was wondering what may be some good corals to start with? I was thinking Yellow Fiji Leather.

What do I feed corals? I know that many are filter feeding and Kent has a whole line of liquid foods for corals but which one(s) do I need to use? I've had my FOWLR tank for 3 or 4 years now and think I'm ready to take this step.

i have a bubble coral and its going fine. im new to saltwater though :)

My first corals were Frogspawn, Trumpet Coral, and Zoos. Some other good beginners are Bubble, Mushrooms, and Button Polyps.

You really dont need to feed them anything. They should get what they need from the lighting. They will also get some food from the water column when you do feedings. Although, since I have a semi heavy filter feeder load (ie.. Clam, Scallop, numerous feather dusters, coco worm) I also use phytoplanton. I use DT's Live phytoplankton. You must be VERY careful when adding feeding supplements....If you use too much, it will fowl your tank. I use about 1/2 to 1/3 of whatever the recommended dose is on the bottle.

This is all IMEO. Things could be different for you.

The yellow fiji leather should do well. I have several small ones after fragging mine last year and the oringal is back to where I'm thinking about fragginig it again.

Be very careful about buying special foods and supplements. The leathers and mushrooms generally get all they need from the water column and lighting.

Please ask here or read about the species you intend to get before you buy it. Asking about a coral here will get you some good advice about placement, care, etc.

Good luck

I agree with the others that lighting and what they get from the water column is all they need. DT`s phytoplankton and oyster eggs are good if you do add anything but as mentioned please underfeed what ever the directions say.

I just get worried about buying expensive items if I don't know how to properly take care of them. A lot of descriptions I read say that certain corals require calcium and Iodine for example in addition to trace elements. I have tested for calcium before and it always seems to be at the proper level as indicated by the test kit. So I'm assuming that my dechlorinated tap water already has enough calcium YES? Iodine I have never tested for. I guess a good place to start would be to test for that as well. Trace elements I am assuming are coming from the salt mix I use and are replenished with PWCs Correct?

Your trace elements are gained more from the saltmix than the water you use. If you are using an RO/DI unit, it is removing all traces of everything from the water. Then the saltmix gives it the proper levels of elements.

If you test for Iodine, DONT dose with a supplement unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you have a proper reading AND dose 1/2 of whatever the bottle says...Believe me you will regret OD'ing Iodine.

Soft corals are a bit easier than stony hard corals. General advice though.

Back
Top Bottom