Good enough home for an angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I'm about to pull the trigger and order my dream angelfish from Angelsplus.com. It will be a veil koi, medium-sized. Just one because it will go in the community tank pictured below. I'm requesting opinions on the set-up and tank-mates. I've done researched and THINK I have it squared away but would love outside comments before I order.

The angelfish will have a planted and cycled, 30 gallon long tank to himself for a quarantine tank for a month before going in the community tank pictured. His new tank-mates would be: 7 long-fin gold Danios, 9 neon tetras (which I am aware he may eat eventually, if that starts to happen I'll re-home them), and five Cories - 4 Emerald and 1 Bronze. Plus numerous cherry shrimp (which he may end up eating) and three Nerite snails. The tank is planted with a variety of plants and includes a few logs and small rocks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431545210.293040.jpg

[That's my Cavalier, Winnie, in the reflection. :) ]

PS, the juvenile plate sin the pic are from a tank I got from a neighbor and are being re-homed.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

How big is the actual community tank? The height would also be helpful knowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish WILL eat the tetras and shrimp you've mentioned. You'd probably save time and money if you rehomed them now vs. later (and is obviously more humane). Personally I've had good luck with platy's with my angel. How big is the tank that will be his home?

Leave the small fish in there. Not all angels eat anything small enough to fit in its mouth, and if it does then hey it's a high protein meal!

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Leave the small fish in there. Not all angels eat anything small enough to fit in its mouth, and if it does then hey it's a high protein meal!

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Growing up, we had a tank that housed angels and neon tetras, among other fish. The angels never ate anyone. I guess it can happen, but it's not guaranteed that it will.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The angelfish and neon tetra debate has went on for a long time.

In the end, there is a higher chance if they grow up together from juveniles but there is never an guarantee.

Caleb

Really it's your choice, as it depends ultimately on the temperament of the angel you're getting on wether or not you keep the tetras in there. But the tank should be fine as long as its high enough to accommodate the hight of your full grown angelfish

Thanks for all the comments, everybody.

It's a 55 gallon. The temporary home will be a planted 37 gallon.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

I have an angel with Mountain Cloud Minnows, Cherry barbs, balloon mollies, Rainbowfish, an apisto, female bettas and mollies. The angel has not bothered anyone. But then, I don't have anything as small as neon tetras. Also, my angel is not full grown yet. So things could change at any time. And yes, angels will relish shrimp. Personally, I'd never put something under 1.5-2 inches in with an angel. It would be just too tempting for him NOT to eat it, and then I'd be wracked with guilt...

The angelfish and neon tetra debate has went on for a long time.

In the end, there is a higher chance if they grow up together from juveniles but there is never an guarantee.

Caleb

Caleb called it right, when they grow up together, the chances of getting eaten go down for the smaller fish. That said, this is usually done with smaller fish and when working with smaller Angels, they do much better in small schools than as singles which poses the dilemma of how many Angels to get. Medium..... how big is their medium? Nickle body, quarter body, half dollar body? The smaller they are, the more I would suggest getting more than the one. A 30 long ( 36L x 12W x 16H) is fine for growing them to a larger size but you need to consider their height with the veiltail for the permanent home. In this case, a higher, longer tank is better suited for these fish than a shorter, wider tank even tho it may hold more water.
Hope this helps (y)

oops, just read the next tank is a 55. If it's a standard 55 ( 48l x 12W x 18H) that should more than compensate for the veil. (y)

Back
Top Bottom