Good filter setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am very likely going to be getting a canister filter to add onto my 55 gallon tank here in the next couple days, my main question is this: is it a good idea to use 3 level filtration? I have 2 HOB filters already, an AC30 with a surface skimmer attachment, and an AC50 that reaches to about mid tank. The canister filter will be installed at the substrate level, utilizing a 3 level filtration setup.

The AC30 filter skimmer setup works good, with some minor hickups here and there. The main issue is getting the flow right through the skimmer, and keeping the filter from sucking air. I am looking at a canister filter for a 70 gallon tank, bringing my total filtration power to ~150 gallons. It may be overkill, but with my messy fish, I feel it is needed, and the fact that I have a habit of over stocking...

Would it be a good idea to have the HOB's on the sides of the tank, flowing in to the middle, and the canister off the back of the tank flowing to the front, or have the canister on the sides, intake and return on seperate sides? Or have all of them on the back, what would be an ideal setup for a 55 gallon tank with 3 filters?

Thank you all for the help,

Bear

IMHO, you can never have enough or too much filtration. I'd keep the AC 50, put the surface skimmer on that, dump the AC 30, and add the canister. Heck, keep all three.

I like the two on the sides, canister on back idea. Nice flow. Stages don't matter, the more the merrier. There is no such thing as filtration overkill. I have yet to hear of fish dying from too MUCH filtration.

I'll agree on the never too much filtration, I just dont want to have too much current from the return, what would be an easy way to minimize return flow on the canister? I'm looking at either a fluval or Eheim, I cant find a rena filstar local, and dont like waiting for delivery...I've been researching filters for a while now, and looking at a fluval 305, or the equivalent Eheim. I've heard people talking about the custom made spray bars, how about does one go about this? How can I minimize the down from from the HOB's?

Thank you again for the help,

Bear

On an ac, you can throttle down the flow by moving the tube at the top toward the narrower end of the marked gradient bar on the cover with the '-' sign.

custom spray bars are made from hard tubing with holes drilled into them in even markings down the side, attached to the outtake from the canister.

have you considered ordering a canister filter online? bigalsonline.com often has really good deals on them. same with ebay. if you are going to go with a canister and are willing to spend the money, ehiem is really the way to go. They are the best, and often come with media. their ecco canisters are easy to use, and less expensive. the 2217 served me very well on a 55 alone, without HOB support. and that tank was heavily planted and overstocked. You can get them for about $100 on big als or drsfostersmith.com

Eheim ecco 2234 for 150 in store, on sale on the net for 130, I can likely get the store to match the price, if not, to me 50 bucks isnt bad for picking it up that day...I'm impatient...LOL

I like the AC's running at full power, the only reason I didnt like them running at full power was because the babies we had were struggling. I wasnt wanting to gate them down, but maybe deflect the water some, to keep the water from flowing all the way down? maybe putting a plastic shelf under so it flows off the sides instead of down?

I'll use the canister regular, and if needed, adapt it as needed...I do appreciate the help, it makes it easier for my ADD mind to grasp things...LOL

yes, 2234, sorry was thinking of the model number for the eheim classic, lol.

Yeah, the ecco is great, comes with really good substrate.

I suggest using one of the trays for the green fiber substrate eheim makes though. that doesn't come with the ecco, you have to buy it seperate.

Good luck.

What store? Most petsmarts match their online ads.

Its at petco, I'll print the add and take it to the store with me.

Green fiber? I'm unfamiliar with that, other than the sponge and ceramic bio filter media, you recommend this? Would this go before the ceramic?

ceramic on bottom, green fiber, white fiber disk, carbon disk. you'll understand when you open the ecco

you have to buy the green fiber seperate. it is called EFHI FIX coarse fiber

Oh, and one more thing...the ebfustrat pro, it looks like cocoa puffs.

Stuff as much as you can in the baskets. And save the rest. The instructions will tell you to replace half sometime in the future. Don't. That stuff is pricey.

It is also verymuch everlasting media. Rinse and reuse. Travis Simonson (the planted cichlid tank guy) has two giant industrial strength eheims filled each with 5 gallons of that stuff. He just pulls out the big bags, rinses them and puts them back. Been using the same media for years.

Rinse and reuse. it never goes bad, just needs a good cleaning.

now you have my attention, does the water flow from top to bottom? All the other's I've researched from from bottom to top, top to bottom would be different, and cool. According to the pictures, I dont see any kind of strainer for the intake, is this right or is there one with it? I dont want my loaches going for a ride...LOL

MyCatsDrool said:
Oh, and one more thing...the ebfustrat pro, it looks like cocoa puffs.

Stuff as much as you can in the baskets. And save the rest. The instructions will tell you to replace half sometime in the future. Don't. That stuff is pricey.

It is also verymuch everlasting media. Rinse and reuse. Travis Simonson (the planted cichlid tank guy) has two giant industrial strength eheims filled each with 5 gallons of that stuff. He just pulls out the big bags, rinses them and puts them back. Been using the same media for years.

Rinse and reuse. it never goes bad, just needs a good cleaning.

I was lookin at that, it is expensive, but unless needed, I wouldnt replace my bio filter pack...too much bio bacteria in there...LOL

I really do appreciate the advice and help with the filter...I am thinking the eheim will be the one we get for the tank...

Back
Top Bottom