Good Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55g 4ft long, 2 feet deep, and 1 foot wide tank. Currently it has the double bulb T8 shop lights 32 watts each. I want 90% of my plants to be low/mod and 10% room for any high plants that I may really want. So I am needing some advice and direction on what type of inexpensive mod/high light that can serve my purpose. All suggestions welcome so I can choose what its my needs/wants/budget. Also, not a must but would like the option to have a light that I can use once photosynthesis is over and it doesn't have to be a blue light...thanks in advance

IMO, try with your current lights first. You might be surprised to hear that most really do over-light their tanks. You might also be surprised what a dual bulb T8 can do. I have a single bulb T8 over my 75g and it would take a bottle of weed killer to get the plants to stop growing. Just get the proper bulbs.

IMO, try with your current lights first. You might be surprised to hear that most really do over-light their tanks. You might also be surprised what a dual bulb T8 can do. I have a single bulb T8 over my 75g and it would take a bottle of weed killer to get the plants to stop growing. Just get the proper bulbs.

Yes they have been growing great I just want to be able to see them at night sinc ewe have to turn them off at 8 hours....any ideas?

Adjust your lighting schedule for the lights to be on during your peak viewing hours. You can even split the photoperiod if you want (4 on, 3 off, 4 on).

Question: If I replace my 2 T8 32 watt (64 watt total) Daylight 6700k with 2 T5ho with moonlight, will that keep me at low/moderate lighting? My tank depth is 21 inches without subtrate and 18.5 inches with subtrate.

Stick with the dual t8. That puts you at the high end of moderate. Dual t5 is entirely too much light. Too much light is stressful on fish. Plus you would have to run Co2 or your going to have an algae farm

I would only upgrade to a T5HO if you want to be growing some higher light requiring plants. Low light plants should do fine with the T8s.

Back
Top Bottom