Good lights w/o retro fittting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have begun a salt tank with my standard 55gal, I want lights that will be able to work for most any thing. I have been reading and every thing worth while seems to require DIY. I am looking for something that will work great and is all together in one package. I would like to stay around or under $500, is this possible? I am lost when I look at lighting sites, because I am just now beginning to understand all the combinations. I know it will go reef so I want to be ready for that. Sorry for another lighting question but I really need to be pointed in the right direction.
A description and a retailer would be great if anyone can help.

I saw a 48' light by Orbits on captivereefs site but wonder if that would be enough?

Thank you so much for any help.

You could keep all but the SPS corals and clams with the Current USA Orbit PC Hood. I would recomend the Coralife series of lights over the Current USA Orbit also. They have a better warranty and customer support! If you want moonliughts than look at the coralife Lunar Aqualights!

You could also do a Meal Halide only hood with 14K bulbs. That would eliminate the need for actinics as the the 14K bulbs are fairly blue a hood such as that can be made for around $500.

If you want more specific information on options and prices please send me a Private message or E-mail me.

lreilly said:
I have begun a salt tank with my standard 55gal, I want lights that will be able to work for most any thing. I have been reading and every thing worth while seems to require DIY. I am looking for something that will work great and is all together in one package. I would like to stay around or under $500, is this possible? I am lost when I look at lighting sites, because I am just now beginning to understand all the combinations. I know it will go reef so I want to be ready for that. Sorry for another lighting question but I really need to be pointed in the right direction.
A description and a retailer would be great if anyone can help.

I saw a 48' light by Orbits on captivereefs site but wonder if that would be enough?

Thank you so much for any help.

I ordered the 48" AQUALIGHT WITH 2-65W ACTINIC / 2-65W 10,000K for my 75 gal from Captive Reefs - it should be here on Thursday. :p It's on sale right now for only $199.00. I also ordered 2 of the clip on lunar lights for $16.00 each and an Aqua-C Remora pro. For all their non-sale items, Aquarium Advice members get another 6% off - I saved around $30 or so on my order - covered my shipping. :wink:

Here's a link to the lights if you are interested. It is the model LT-ES53106 at the bottom of the page. Click here

A pair of 4' VHO's would give you good light for softies and LPS. The problem is when you give the requirement for lighting that will be good for just about anything I want to keep then that usually means going to MH and there seems to be a big jump in price when you do so.

Back
Top Bottom