Good mid-sized community fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 55 gallon tank that is currently stocked with a school of about 10 neon tetras, 10 harlequin rasboras, a few white clouds, 5 cory cats, 4 otos, 2 blue rams, and a redtail shark. I am looking for a few medium-sized fish to add to this community. Up until about a week ago, I had four dwarf gouramis, but they all died in about a week's time. Water parameters are all fine, so I'm not really sure what caused their demise. Anyway, any suggestions on some fish about the size of dwarf gouramis that would get along well with the fish I already have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

what do you mean by the water parameters were fine.. can you give us some numbers?
dwarf cichlids would be on the top of my list but im usure if you have any room left..

Ammonia and nitrites zero, nitrates 10 or so. Water temp 78, ph 7.4 - 7.6. What type of dwarf cichlids can you recommend that would get along well with everyone?

Sounds like your tank is well stocked and low on room. Do you quarentine your new fish? I never put them in a tank right away because if they are carrying something it could kill the whole tank. You're lucky if just the new fish die.

Unfortunately, I have no money/space for a quarantine tank. I'm very careful about where I purchase my fish and examining them for any visible maladies. The majority of the fish I have now (neons and harlequins) are fairly low waste-producing fish, so I do think I have enough space for a few larger-sized fish. Just asking for suggestions.

Thanks

I would suggest angelfish, but they will eventually get big enough to eat the neons... but you can get some babies and they may never bother them...
.. of course, i suggest angelfish to everyone.. LOL

Thanks for all the replies. Do rainbows school? Is there a certain number of them, or a certain male/female ratio that I should get?

macfisto said:
Unfortunately, I have no money/space for a quarantine tank. I'm very careful about where I purchase my fish and examining them for any visible maladies. The majority of the fish I have now (neons and harlequins) are fairly low waste-producing fish, so I do think I have enough space for a few larger-sized fish. Just asking for suggestions.

Thanks

How do you know which fish are considered low waste production fish? Small fish = low?

Back
Top Bottom