Good plant trimmer, and landscaping tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

i don't do much with plants, but the plants that i do have im finding it hard to trim them, cut off there dead leaves, and basicly looking for a landscape tool. Do they have ones out there that will help me cut, plant, and maybe flatrern my rock or even it out? If so what ones are good? I have a 55 gallon tank.

Well I use my fingers to plant and regular hobby scissors to cut. I rather do that than spending $50 for a good set. (And for the $50 I'll buy another tank :lol: .)

I keep my thumbnails a little long, so I can prune most stem plants this way.

www.drsfostersmith.com sells some inexpensive stainless steel tools. Look in their plant area. I think forceps go for $5 and scissors for under $10.

there's also a long arm'd tool with interchangable parts, and a lever action for a gripping claw and scissors. I've heard its a bit bulk, and clumsy to use though, and spendy.

I just use my index finger for planting stems (the trick is to tamp your substrate back down around the base...it holds better, and I've never had to use plant weights this way).
for stuff like glosso, tweezers and extreme patience is the trick.

I have a pair of very sharp scissors...just big enough that I don't look a mad barber while pruning. I also use malkore's "hands on" approach for planting in the substrate.

aquariumplants.com and azgardens.com both sell stainless steel planting tools--they are actually medical tools that have been coopted for aquatic use. i find the long, straigh tweezer invaluable for planting--i push the plant in very deep and have less risk of it floating back up out of the hole (made by my clumsy hands). the scissor, which has a slanted tip, is less useful--i either use my fingers or another regualr scissor--however, when i need to prune plants with very thick stems (and my nails are prolly not as long as malkore's ;)), that long scissor comes in very handy. i think i spent about $12-14 on each--well spent imo. if you can only afford one, i would go with the tweezer.

hth

I figured scissors would work, but i didnt know about the metal and other stuff on them would polute the water, and i know of some landscapers, but didn't know how good they would work thats why i ask. Thanks guys and girls.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom