Good Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon tank that is obviously overstocked but really want it to work. The fish I have are...

-6 Juli Cory Cats
-2 Platies
-2 German Rams
-1 Clown Pleco
-1 Geophagus surinamensis

I really want it to work and so far it has but recently one of the rams has been hiding in the back (Not at bottom) and I'm worried. Also, the Geophagus has been going up and down the walls which means what?

P.S The guy at the fish store sold me the Geo which I didn't know the size of.

Your 20 G

I have a 20 gallon tank that is obviously overstocked but really want it to work. The fish I have are...

-6 Juli Cory Cats
-2 Platies
-2 German Rams
-1 Clown Pleco
-1 Geophagus surinamensis

I really want it to work and so far it has but recently one of the rams has been hiding in the back (Not at bottom) and I'm worried. Also, the Geophagus has been going up and down the walls which means what?

P.S The guy at the fish store sold me the Geo which I didn't know the size of.

Hello 19...

Hopefully, all the fish are peaceful, the Platys and Corys are. You can plant the tank well. Ancharis, Pennywort, Anubias, Java fern and most of the mosses will do well in most kinds of light. Plants help the fish feel comfortable. Large, weekly water changes will help keep the tank water clear of fish wastes, I'd suggest 50 percent weekly. The Platys are fast breeders in good water conditions.

Hope this little bit is helpful.

B

You really should return the Geo as it is quickly going to outgrow the tank. As for the strange behavior have your checked your ph/gh/kh and nitrates and phospates recently? What are the readings? What is your WC schedule and how much water do you change out each time? What type of filter are you using?

Return the two, up the number of platies to 3, keep the cories, and create a place like a cave for the rams and another for the pleco.

After reading your other very similar thread you tank does not sound as if it's been cycled since you don't test for anything. If the tank is new and you just set it up and added fish you've probably got high ammonia and nitrites which is poisonous to fish and could end up killing some if not all of them. Especially the rams which are very sensitive to poor water quality. You need to read this article.... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice. And buy an API master test kit and start testing your water.

Back
Top Bottom