Good Tankmates for a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, everything sounds good. Mine absolutly love frozen bloodworms and guppy fry. ;)
He will be healthy in no time. You will see clear webbing when his fins grow back, the color will slowly come back as well.
Most US shipping places act like that because they don't want to take the responsiblity if something was damaged. Like saying "its not our fault that the box was moving and stress out your fish." Not all places are like that, though.
Its nice to know that the place you bought it from would replace it, if you wanted to. Maybe you could get a different carrier if needed?

hey barleybear i live in fort walton beach FL and there are some good betta breeders in destin that let you pick the fish that you want to breed. and he will breed them.

Well, everything sounds good. Mine absolutly love frozen bloodworms and guppy fry. ;)
He will be healthy in no time. You will see clear webbing when his fins grow back, the color will slowly come back as well.
Most US shipping places act like that because they don't want to take the responsiblity if something was damaged. Like saying "its not our fault that the box was moving and stress out your fish." Not all places are like that, though.
Its nice to know that the place you bought it from would replace it, if you wanted to. Maybe you could get a different carrier if needed?

I bought him some frozen blood worms and frozen krill today.

I also decided to use Melafix and Pimafix. Both products say they won't harm the biofilter, plants, or snails. Better safe than sorry, I guess. If his injuries got infected, I'd feel really stupid if I could have prevented it.

Thanks for the heads up, Jetta! I had already dosed the tank before reading your post. I did some searches, and it seems people have killed bettas using Melafix, despite the label stating it is safe for all fish, including delicate ones.

My snails certainly don't seem to like it. All six quickly moved to the top of the tank!

The problem with Melafix looks like it is overdosing, which labyrinth fish can't tolerate. Betta fix has the same active ingredient (tea tree oil), but in a diluted form.

Here's a link with some updated and non-hysterical info: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/75644-update-regarding-labyrinth-fish-melafix.html

I'm glad to have been warned. I did not use the full dose in my 12 gallon tank. And after reading the post, decided to put my charcoal media back in and crank the filter back up to high. I think he'll be safe with the one dose, and the charcoal should filter it out soon.

If I decide to keep using it, I'll reduce the dose by 1/5, and only treat for a few days, not the full 7. Or I might just use the Pimafix alone. The snails don't seem to care for the Melafix much, anyway.

Some folks reporting deaths had been using it for two or more weeks. And many were not following instructions and overdosing their tanks. Also, many were dosing tanks smaller than 10 gallons.

Still, better safe than sorry. Glad to have the info!

Finally, some pics of Radagast in the tank! These are a bit dark. I caught him in the corner puffing up to his reflection, but it was a bit dark over there.

Radagst 1.JPG

Radagast 2.jpg

Radagast 3.JPG

Radagast.JPG

The last pic, of course, is the one from the seller before he was shipped. You can see the missing chunk of his tail in pic 2 and 3. He's seem to be getting bolder, so maybe I'll have some better lit pics, soon.

BarleyBear said:
The last pic, of course, is the one from the seller before he was shipped. You can see the missing chunk of his tail in pic 2 and 3. He's seem to be getting bolder, so maybe I'll have some better lit pics, soon.

It looks pretty healthy even with the part of the tail missing. Give him lots of fresh water and love and he will come around. specialy when he learns you have the food ;)
Just be careful with meds other then bettafix they can really be harmful. He is still really beautiful.
Keep us updated :)

Wow, He's stunning!! Best of luck with him :) My betta had a huge chunk taken out of his tail, all the way down to the base. After a little over a week of salt, melafix, and twice daily water changes hes recovered amazingly. Are you just treating with melafix? Also if you don't mind me asking, where did you order him from?

Wow, He's stunning!! Best of luck with him :) My betta had a huge chunk taken out of his tail, all the way down to the base. After a little over a week of salt, melafix, and twice daily water changes hes recovered amazingly. Are you just treating with melafix? Also if you don't mind me asking, where did you order him from?

Thanks! Right now, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue the Melafix or not. I also used Pimafix. If I do continue, I'll cut the dose by 1/5th. I'd love to just use salt, but it will kill my plants, and I don't want to stress the fish out by chasing him down to do dips. The stress would probably be more detrimental than just leaving him alone. He has no visible signs of infection, I was just wanting to use something as a precaution.

I bought him from a seller in Thailand. Her name is Vanita, and this is her site (or he, but "Vanita" sounds like a female name to me.) Nice Bettas: Nice Bettas Plakat Thai - Home
Pictures are of the actual betta for sale.

Two other Thai sellers I considered are below. Betta Akapes is really cool because you get to see a video clip of the fish you're interested in.

BettaAkapes: Betta For Sales !! BettaAkapes : We are selling high quality of Bettas only. which all kind of bettas as Plakats, Siamaes Fighting, Vieltails, HalfMoon. HalfMoon Plakats, Giants, Deltas, Super Deltas, Double Tails and also Fancy Bettas.,
On this site, you can see a video clip of the actual betta for sale.

Siamimbellis: WELCOME TO SIAMIMBELLIS.COM
Shows photos of the actual fish you are buying.

Wow, thanks a ton for the links!! I plan on purchasing another male soon because I want to start breeding, but I'm so afraid the fish will come DOA or nothing like I ordered. I am a huge fan of the marble blue mustards, marble blue reds, and coppers and its seems the first and second links have most of what I want.

I totally agree, I think salt dips would do more harm then good which is why I never did them to mine. I just think it would be to stressful.

It's a pretty expensive gamble to order from so far away. But a lot of the fish sold in stores are shipped long distances, too.

As far as DOA goes, most provide some kind of replacement service, though I don't think shipping is included in that.

For mine, the transhipper required I take a picture within 15 minutes of signing for the package and emailing it to her. So if you decide to buy from one of the sellers, I'd email them about their shipping policies before ordering. And then I'd also email the transhipper, too. Most of them use the same transhippers, it seems, and the transhipper can probably give you all the pertinent information you need. Mine did.

He was $25, but the seller gave me a $5 discount. However, transhipping cost me $39.

We need more US breeders of HQ bettas!

Back
Top Bottom