got a 55 gal, is my 10 gallon good for anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now that the 55 is running smooth, i have a 10 gallon not doing anything. is there any other conceivable use for it other than a qt tank? if I sell it, its only worth like $20 i think...? New Light hood, air pump, gravel, a few dcorations, hob filter with 3 replacement cartridges, clean glass...

but does it have any other significant value... I've heard of people keeping water tanks, so when they change the water its all ready set to the proper chemicals, but i dont think im going to waste the space to do that... mind you i live in a small room. (my 55 galon pretty much takes up all the space...lol, i like it that way!)

thanks!

Why not set it up for a species only tank, maybe a blue crayfish or a couple of dwarf puffers. If you really don't have the room keep it in storage (cleaned) for qt use just in case.... You could have it ready to go if you put the filter on the 55gal. then all you'd have to do is fill the 10 with tank water, move the smaller filter and your goos to go.

i am in the same boat as well i have a 10 gallon not in use, it probaly will become a qt for my saltwater, but who knows it may turn into anything hard telling with me at least

Depends. You could use it as a QT tank, or set up another small tank with it. IMO though, I'd use it as a QT. Never know when you might need it...you know?

Can it fit anywhere under the 55? Then you could use it as a QT as deescribed, or any other purpose. I like little tanks, with a few little tanks here and there you can try lots of different things at the same time.

Depending on what you will have stocked in the 55, you could use it to raise fry when your fish have babies.

One of my friends turned his 10 gallon into a snail breeding tank so he'd have a good supplemental supply of food for his puffers.

I personally don't think a person can ever have too many tanks. Ten gallons are great for just about anything: a quarantine tank, breeding tank, hospital tank, fry-rearing tank, a sump, etc. You can even use it to raise infusoria or put it outside filled with water to get mosquito larvae (but make sure to get them before they hatch and get you!)

Liggs

this is for if you are feeling very adventurous/have at least had passing experience with saltwater. you could make it into a small saltwater or even a small reef tank with small hardy corals and a couple or clownfish at the maximum
- just another thought

I just got dwarf puffers for my 10g tank and i like them alot. Maybe withj a few live plants you could have a really nice puffer/planted tank.

i like the mini reef.... i'll have to keep it for 2 months thjough, until i graduate... but maybe I will hang on to it for a mini reef... but i am thinking more and more that a qt tank would be nice... but the stand my friend built for the 55 doesnt have enough room under it for the 10...

if i kept it for like some neon tetras, and maybe an otto to clean the algae? would it be easy to keep.... So far my 55 gallon has been easy, and its nice to not have to struggle so much, the main reason for tearing down the 10 gallon was it was so dirty... the algae got out of control!

too many options... maybe i'll get it clean and start seting it back up fw and do something from there... thanks for all the ideas!!!

Back
Top Bottom