Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's okay. It's probably been six months since I've lost a fish. And, based on my track record when I first got started.. that's pretty darn good :D

I guess tomorrow I'll set up the 10g qt and treat with copper. I can't put all of my fish in there though. =/ Might buy a bigger tank. Then leave them in there for 6 weeks for all of the ich in the DT to die.

That leaves me with 6.

I could probably do the 2 chromis and 2 clownfish in the 10g.. you think?

Going to have a heck of a time catching these guys.

Ya but it depends on how long... 6 weeks right? Ya i think it would be okay.. But you would hate to stress them out and have the ich get worse :(

That is so true and why I hesitated to be more aggressive with the treatment. When I tried it in the past, the fish died. So i feel like if I start to get aggressive the fish will die.

I could try QT with hyposalinty and freshwater dips. But then if that doesn't work, the disease only gets worse with time. Copper is the closest thing to a sure bet.

:( decisions

My corals and invertebrates will not tolerate hyposalinity or copper. It will kill them.

Ohh i see... Is it possible to move the corals and inverts to the 10 gal qt while you treat the larger tank with copper? I dont know though because i heard that the LR will suck up the copper and then slowly release it back..?

Yeah. I wouldn't want any of that. Plus I have probably literally 100 snails.

Well, the Kole Tang forced my hand. He was laying on his side breathing heavily, covered in white spots (sure didn't look that bad yesterday and he acted normal).

I quickly set up an emergency qt tank. Only let the salt mix for an hour. Dosed it with copper.

He's in there now, but he likely will not make it.. too far gone.

At least now I have the QT set up and can possibly save my clowns, chromis, and coral beauty. I'm not going to put them in until tonight, possibly tomorrow.

Wish I would've done this sooner or been more agressive. Hindsight is 20/20 and it takes experience to make an expert, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your tang, you did the best you could. Might make it after all so stay positive.

Good luck!!

Thanks carey! Since my last bout with my clowns a looong time ago I have learned a lot and I feel more prepared.

Unfortunately I didn't dip my first few corals. Lessoned learned!

Thank you for being here during my ride!!! :-D

Always here to support and/or give what advice I can. :)

I've never had ich in my tanks so I have no idea what i would do. I would for sure freak out I bet.

But you've got your qt up which is great. When are you going to move over the other fish?

Tonight or tomorrow. I want the salt to mix more thorougly first. But probably tonight because the tang was acting good yesterday and then deathly this morning. 12 or so hours of mixing should be good.

Also had my HOB filter sponge soaking in the sump for months so it's nice and full of nitrifying bacteria.

What was it in your tank that caused your big crash.. ever find out?

edit| My 1001st post!

yay 1001!! lol

never did find the culprit in my tragedy, since then all fish have been fine. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

Well the kole tang died. RIP.
Really wanting to get the others in there now because I'm sure it's in their gills.

Hi Scott, sorry to hear of your encounter with marine white spot. Isolation and treatment with copper was the right course of action. You will need to be watchfull over your other fish, the parasite is very infectious. Rather than launch into a whole 'article' here I'd like to refer you to this page for full info about the spot disease:

Marine White Spot (Cryptocaryon irritans) | UltimateReef.Com

Back
Top Bottom