Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for that.

It's too bad I don't have a copper test kit. Had to order one online because both local LFS's do not carry them. The bottle says 1 tsp per 4 gallons. I used 2 tsp in 10 gallons because I didn't want to overdose.

I hope the underdose can be effective until the test kit arrives.

Sorry to hear about your issues with your fish. Hope you get it straightened out in time. Keep your head up. Just toss the bad stuff my way since I seem to be a magnet for it. :)

I'm sure the extra 1/2 teaspoon won't make much difference. Good luck with keeping the 'spot' under control.

Kenya trees are great because they sway in the current. The trick is to attach to rock that's separate from your main cluster of rock. I have mine on the sand in the front corner. That way I can control the spread.

Only caught one fish last night. Going to try more soon.

Question: Is a coral dip a guarantee to get rid of things like this? Or is quarantine still better?

I dont think a coral dip will get rid ich. QT is still the best way to avoid it in my opinion. That and luck. I didnt qt til a few months ago and I got lucky in that I never had it in my tank before that.

So, buy, acclimate to my qt, then qt for 6 weeks.
****. it'll be hard running all of those tests on TWO tanks
i may just get a crapton of corals to satisfy my DT needs for a while and then introduce my fish last after the ich has died off

Yep, it seems like a long arduous process but it's better safe than sorry. I've only been qt'ing for 2-3 weeks and the time really does fly by.

Good luck scott! Keep us all updated as you go.

Okay a little update. I caught the 2 b&w clownfish and 2 green chromis about yesterday at this time.

Fine all day yesterday, this morning the 2 clowns are dead.

Still have 2 green chromis and a coral beauty (that I can't catch!!)

The QT tank has .5 ammonia but that didn't kill them. PWC today though.

Aww man scott, really sorry about the clowns...I hope the rest of the fish make it. Fingers crossed for you. ***

Yeah, it sucks. Im just trying to keep the DT water quality good for my nems and corals.

I have a feeling the green chromis will survive though. Those things are so tough. One of them has survived ever since I started and all the muckups i've been through! lol

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck with fish. Is there still Ick present on any of the fish and are you sure it's Ick and not lymphocystis. They look the same and the fish acts the same by trying to rub and scratch them off. Google it see if it matches up.

Coral beauty has white spots, acting fine though. I can't catch him though so I either have to wait until he gets near death and barely moving or just let him die in the tank. Im scared I'll kill the corals if i move the rock and stir things up.

Is lymphocystis a protozoan parasite?

The two green chromis look fine in QT with copper.

It's a virus that looks like Ich but there's no cure to it. They just try to scratch it off and it usually falls off in 1-3 months. The best thing to do is keep the fish stress free.

Oh, no, that's not it. No clumping/cauliflower like stuff. Just salt like specs.

Oh that's good then, well not that your fish died but it's not the virus and it's something treatable. When I got Ich in my 12g I couldn't do QT so I dosed quick cure (malachite green and formalin) in my tank at half dosage every day for a week then ran an additional week no water change without carbon or skimmer. It cured everything and all my frags and inverts lived but my acro colony died :(

Fish were stress free and fine for 6+ months.
Nothing happened till I brought the first few corals in. I'm confident that's what brought something with it.

Oh, dang.
Yeah I've never had luck with treatments. Fish get ich and die, that's about how it goes. :p

I'm seeing a lot of good growth out of my corals! Exciting.
Here's a few pictures from a few weeks ago till now

img_1701418_0_d41702cc8a350b14ace1ad2909c59575.jpg
img_1701418_1_6fe9775101a66f72208a5332af3d3cf8.jpg

img_1701418_2_5711e474bbd31917548a9b410681c20a.jpg
img_1701418_3_4c1b4c3a7205bc658326c0faebeb552f.jpg

img_1701418_4_482b04e3a91985484062c65b7df736d0.jpg
img_1701418_5_ba21f0aca35ca3bf4e80c9ccf27ac64e.jpg

img_1701418_6_c8180a272cca7438215f41eaf6009787.jpg
img_1701418_7_bdbf2e8efa4074ec242604644feec505.jpg

Back
Top Bottom