Got some oto's....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 5 of the little guys tonight.. The largest is already making short order of the back of my tank... Truly amazing! :)

I also have some of these little guys, very fun to watch as they scoot around the tank looking for and eating algae.

My Black Neon's think they have new friends.. The smaller Oto does kinda look like a Black Neon..

I bought 3 two weeks ago and tragically one did not make it, as oto's tend to die early, for reasons I do not know. But the other two are doing great and always eating. I am probably going to buy a couple more.

Yeah, I have read they are sensitive to getting aclimated.. Hopefully these will make it through for me.. I cannot believe they only cost $1.99..

The reason a lot of them don't make it is because they are wild caught. Don't think they will take right away to algae wafers but they do like the blanched broccoli. After awhile they may like the algae wafers but not all of them will eat them and rather starve to death first.

I have a tank full of diatoms... They all seem to be eating on that at the moment..

Diatoms (brown algae) are my otos' favorite. They won't touch anything else if there's brown algae to eat.

What other types of algae are these guys proficient at eradicating? Will they only touch new growth, or will they deal with old growth too?

Back
Top Bottom