Gotta save the fish ! Cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aellison62

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi forum,

I've got a tank full of fish and thought my tank had finished cycling (it's 6 weeks old) I have a bio filter but also put in bacteria supplement to aid in cycling (I know now it's wrong)

My problem is that my Nitrates AND Nitrites are off the chart high. I can't beleive any fish are still alive.

Should I do multiple water changes over the next week and hope for the best?

Thanks for any advice,

What are your parameters exactly? What size is the tank and what and how many fish are in it?

I would do a Partial water change everyday with additonal prime (Optional) until your parameters go down. Once the nitrite goes to 0 and the Nitrate to 5-20, you can stop doing the PWC everyday and going back to doing them once a week.

Yep, if you have any readings of ammonia or nitrites, you should do daily water changes to get them down. I would personally do 50% daily if readings are above .25

--Adeeb

OK, I'll get the water changes going. What exactly is "prime" water? Right now I am just using tap water that is de-chlorinated.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Prime is a wate conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours. It just helps with the bad water quality problem, you can use it with your water conditioner

So you add the prime to the tank directly AFTER you do a partial water change? Or do you add the prime to the water you are going to be putting in during the change?

If you can, add Prime directly to the new water in the bucket (or whatever you're putting water in). In that scenario you dose for however much water your replacing. If you're pouring directly into the tank without de-chlorinating first, you need to dose the entire volume of the tank.

I don't think it would matter in your case, which ever Is easier for you, just make sure to dose according to the instructions on the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom