Gourami being a bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJG86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My gourami is being a bully to my serpae tetras. I just added five tonight to my tank and the gourami is going crazy chasing them around. Will this get better or should I move him out?

My gourami is being a bully to my serpae tetras. I just added five tonight to my tank and the gourami is going crazy chasing them around. Will this get better or should I move him out?

What size tank do you have, and what type of gourami is it?

what type of gourami is it? if he does not stop picking on them after a day or two, or start to see it getting serious, like scales or fins missing. then try to take the fish out and rearrange the tank, move decorations around and what not, then put the fish back in (all of them) this will "reset" the tank. Right now the gourami probably thinks the entire tank only belongs to him.

also how big is this tank and what else is in it?

He is a dwarf flame gourami. The tank is 29 gallons. I've got 7 glo tetra, 8 neon tetra, 4 corydoras, 5 serpae tetra and the gourami. The gourami have never bothered any of the other fish.

well you are overstocked IMO, however thats not the question you are asking. the reason he is being aggressive is because his territory is already set and the new addition of fish is making him think his territory is being threatened. so doing what i said before, with taking all of the fish out and rearranging the tank should do the trick

Thanks for the advice. I will switch things up and see how it goes.

I had the same problem after adding fish to my tank. I put the male gourami (the one being territorial) in the guppy breeder without the divider for a couple of days. When I put him back in he was fine. (I had to put him back in the breeder after he jumped out :p) now he doesnt bug any of the other fish

I never have this problem with my opaline and gold gourami, and I know my tank crowded. I do move things around a lot though.

I had the same problem after adding fish to my tank. I put the male gourami (the one being territorial) in the guppy breeder without the divider for a couple of days. When I put him back in he was fine. (I had to put him back in the breeder after he jumped out :p) now he doesnt bug any of the other fish

Omg! You would never guess! I had taken the gourami out a little bit ago and put him in a bowl of his own while I was taking the others out and rearranging. I sat down for a bit and when I came back the gourami was gone! He jumped for it! I picked him up quick and put him back in the water...he is doing fine swimming around now.

I'd say honey gourami are usually pretty peaceful, but a lot can depend on the individual personality of the fish. I have one right now which is about the most peaceful and friendly fish I've had, but I also had one in the past which went berserk and killed one of my local bred GBRs. :(

Omg! You would never guess! I had taken the gourami out a little bit ago and put him in a bowl of his own while I was taking the others out and rearranging. I sat down for a bit and when I came back the gourami was gone! He jumped for it! I picked him up quick and put him back in the water...he is doing fine swimming around now.

Mine jumped out of the breeder too. I put him back in his time out. Lol

Back
Top Bottom