Gourami ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samba264

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,
I bought a wee gourami the other day, it was advertised as a blue dwarf but now that I've compared it to some pictures it seems to me to look more like a honey.
What are your opinions? I'd also like some opinions as to its sex, I think it looks like a female?

img_1304894_0_5ff69712396cc30c45b71b3c63758e44.jpg

img_1304894_1_89397cdbf81bc39851027dfb8b316f0f.jpg

Cheers,
Sam

It is possible, the body style is similar. It may even be a small female giant gourami. The colors are fairly washed out so it is hard for me to tell what it is for sure. A powder blue is possible, but it doesn't seem to have the proper colors on it's sides.

I'm 99% sure it is a Honey Gourami, it just looks a little pale. it's amost impossible to differentiate between the sexes

Pete

It kind of looks like a female blue dwarf. If that is the case, good pick up, those can be hard to find anymore.

It kind of looks like a female blue dwarf. If that is the case, good pick up, those can be hard to find anymore.

That's possible, but even when washed out they usually still show the vertical striping. It's hard to be sure.

It's not a kissing gourami. They look different then this one does.

So its either definitely a dwarf or honey then:) and probably female...Once I upgrade their tank I'll see if I can't find a male once I know what it is. honey seems to be winning at the moment.

Thanks for all your help!!

I doubt its a dwarf. The body shape is wrong, dwarfs are more stubby. I'd go with the honey.
Oh, and gourami mating habits are weird. They like shallow water, simulating the natural dry season in India. Also high temperature, not sure about current. Not saying it won't happen, but the chances are low.

Back
Top Bottom