gourami wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.bug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i bought 2 powder blue gouramis 2 days ago. i put them in a 10 gal alone to make sure they are healthy before i drop them in my 20gal. i have never had a gourami before so i dont know at all what behavior is normal...
the thing that is concerning me is that one of them wont seem to eat. at least i dont see him eat. he and is tank mate seem to pretty much stay away from each other most of the time. sometimes they swim around together but usually they stay on opposite sides of the tank. so the one is a really healthy eater and its like the other one is afraid to eat for fear of getting beat up. he looks at the food, he swims up to it, it floats by him but he wont eat. and if he does, sometimes the other guy will dart over and head butt him. poor guy.
sorry so long. i'm wondering if this is normal, if one of a pair is usually dominant. how can i get the other one to eat? or should i trade him for another one at the lfs before his fishy warranty runs out?

I would think that even after you move them to the bigger tank, there will be aggression between them. I would return the one that is not eating if it were me.

• okay. its the next day. i have seen him eat nothing. they are both males, i knew that going in. i decided to get two so that when i put them in my community 20gal, hopefully they would just pick on each other and noone else.
    anyway, i've decided to take the non-eating one back. so should i get another one while im there? will the one i'm keeping pick on everyone or were they maybe just a bad match?

I wouldn't have 2 males... see if they have a female, or just get another kind of fish. My gourami really never picked on the other species, so I wouldn't worry about getting 2 males so they pick on each other instead of other fish.

anyway, i've decided to take the non-eating one back. so should i get another one while im there? will the one i'm keeping pick on everyone or were they maybe just a bad match?

In such a small tank...it wouldn't be a good idea. Gouramis can be territorial. Return the non eating one, and either get a different fish, or just keep the one. IMO

Back
Top Bottom