Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ivy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me if Blue Dwarf Gourami are mid or bottom swimmers? What is the deal anyway? Why can't I find females anywhere? All I find are males. Anyone have any idea why?
Thanks

Well, when you first look at gouramis you would except them to hang at the top because of their body structure and mouth structure. But really they go everywhere in the tank. I think they are mainly top swimmers, but I know mine goes everywhere in the tank.

You might just not have any females in your area. If you really want some you could always order a female online.

Funny thing is, when I was looking for a female, Wal-Mart was the only one who carried them.. I don't think they (the ones around here) carry them anymore, but then again, I never look there anymore either.

my plan for my 20g High, planted tank was 3 glo danios, 5 panda cories, 3 ghost shrimp and 1 Male/1 Female (maybe two) powder blue dwarf gourami's. Any thoughts?

Excellent, I knew I was on an edge, but I have lots of plants and thought that might help my bio-load a bit.

If I remember right, Goruamis have the ability to breathe surface air like bettas. So if that's true, They are probably top swimmers like fishcrazybenboom said.

Gourami are known as Labyrinth Fish. They go from mid to bottom to the top to grab air. So do not be alarmed. I was! :wink:

excellent, now I just need to find somewhere that has females so I can put a pair, (male/female) in at the same time:)

I was thinking about adding two powder blue dwarf gouramis to my tank. Since most places don't sell females, what are your thoughts on two powder blue dwarf males in a well planted 20g?

I think it will depend on the temperament of the fish. I have heard mixed things about adding two male gouramis in a single tank. You could try two, but I bet in a 20H you would have some aggression issues. I would try to break up the line of sight as much as you can.

Everything I've read about gouramis says they are in the same family as bettas and will behave aggressively like bettas. I have a single male dwarf gourami in a 10g with some peaceful bottom dwellers (otos, corys). He's a punk, and will snap at the little guys and chase them away from any food that grabs his interest. I agree with Meegosh, I think it will depend pretty heavily on the particular fish. I would be prepared for strife if you add two males.

I also found some folks who said gourami pairs can be extremely protective of their nests. Just something else to keep in mind. I had the same luck you had trying to find a female, btw.

Back
Top Bottom