Gouramis spwaning started need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaya10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

My gouramis started spawning this afternoon. I've got two females and a male and both females swim to the nest and drop eggs in turn. This is crazy because I have put the fish in 3 days ago! I set the tank up for gourami breeding but this is happening much faster than I thought. Anyway I think the male is eating the eggs. Is this possible? I think the nest is not ready yet. I have seen eegs released clearly, the male then picks them up but I don't see him releasing them into the nest. Anybody seen this before? I know a lot of new breeding parents make a lot of mistakes and need a few times to get it right. So maybe this is what I am seeing?

Cheers

Update: ok I think I just saw him release some eggs into the nest. He is super busy cause there are two females! How long does he keep the eggs in his mouth?

Update: fry hatched 5 days ago, now free swimming. I took the male out rather quickly after the eggs hatched. Now I am running around in search of fry food. trying to get some green water from someone, so far I've got two types of commercial liquid fry food, very fine flakes (probably not small enough) and I thought of adding some spirulina? I am also trying to hatch some brinr shrimp but I think they will be too big for a while? Phew this takes a lot of work as I am trying to keep as many alive as possible. Next step is setting up another tank. I put my male in a breeding cage which he seems to hate so hopefully I can move him soon.

thats awesome. if they are anything like bettas,the male will take care of them for a while. the females will eat them

You can make infusoria by putting a piece of boiled potato, banana etc in a jar, place it by a window for about 6 days then pour it into the tank. Leave the lid off the jar

Back
Top Bottom