GPH flow rate for FOWLR 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
For some reason I am having trouble finding some information on this. Currently I have an AquaClear 20 filled with LR rubble and a Rio 180 giving me about 220 GPH flow. Is this too much? What would be ideal? I just added my first fish(tiny clown) after a couple months with just hermit crabs, and the little guy seems to be getting blown around quite a bit.

I'm a rookie with saltwater tanks, so any advice with my filtration etc. would be nice. Thanks.

So I'm at about twice as much flow as I should be. I do have about 12 lbs of rock in the tank, but it doesn't pile up too high to break up the flow of water. Maybe I will just take out the Rio 180 for now.

Sounds about good to me. I have a 12ga. Nano with a Rio 600 pushing the return and a Mini-Jet 606 in tank for extra current. Just try diverting the flow by bouncing it off the glass or aiming the PH up at the surface!! I defnitely would not remove the PH, the extra flow is KING!!!!!

I agree with Jermz79 removing the ph would be a mistake. Your AquaClear 20 is more of a waterfall effect and doesn’t create the stronger movement of a ph. Having more flow within reason can only help with bio-filtration within the lr. As long as you don’t have fish constantly fighting a strong current it shouldn’t be an issue.

I agree. 10 times the capacity is a minimum. (sorry I did not make myself clear) My tank has 20 times capacity in flow.

It's also good to point out that you should have more than a single source of water flow. Try and get that 10x from two or more powerheads and try to create a more alternating or turbulant flow rather than a single direct current.

This helps minimize dead spots of current where detritus can build up. A lot of folks also feel it helps stimulate corals with a more natural water current and helps growth.

Back
Top Bottom