Gravel depth and cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wanted to ask, what is generally a good depth of gravel in tanks that will be easy for cleaning?

I have 60cm x 31cm base on my tank that did have about 3” of gravel (originally) and thought that when I was doing gravel cleans I was doing well because there wasn’t much waste ( 2x a week) it seems I was doing it wrong as not thinking stupidly, that the waste would work it’s way to the bottom!

So, I have been gradually taking out gravel so I’ve now got about 2” of gravel! Is this still too much gravel? What’s the best depth?

I've always kept the gravel depths of my tanks to be between 2" - 3" inches. If hardscaping with big rocks, I go 3" to help distribute the extra weight more evenly. Other than that 2" inches. I think it's best to use very small grain gravel as it helps keep the gunk near the top.
I wouldn't worry about the waste that might settle to the bottom. BB also grows in the gravel and will help dissolve it. Doing two WC's a week with gravel vacs as noted should eliminate any worries of bad water quality.

Last edited:
I like 2 " or less if it is just for decoration.
Being a bare bottom keeper I don't think many realize just how much crap settles to bottom. When you factor in that substrate has to have more friction on water current and suspended debris then glass I like to hit bottom when I vacuum. I know many don't and I am not a plant keeper in tanks where I practice this. I also don't vacuum the whole tank in one shot.

Thanks people, I thought by gently going over the top, I was removing the waste but it was only when I went to the bottom that I was getting more, the only problem is that the flow gets stopped by all the gravel going up the main tube so I have to shut it off and let it release the gravel before starting again. I do one side one week then the other the next.

I find if you lift the tube out of the gravel as soon as you see the gravel about 2" up the tube it will drop out on it's own without having to physically stop the siphon

Ah right, I will try that then. Thank you

I’ve gone from 3 or 4 inches for a planted tank to maybe half inch (just enough to stop light reflecting). Plants are all ferns, etc that don’t have deep roots though. This helps me as since shifting to draining tank to outside hose I’m finding I don’t get as good flow. Guess I could go back to buckets.

I don’t have any real plants in my tank, so I think I will take more out, it will make more swimming space anyway [emoji4]

That’s what I looked at as well - easier to clean and more swimming space (although the bag of planted tank substrate just sitting in garage is calling).

I always thought you were never supposed to do a deep clean? Or is just only for planted and Sand tanks?

I don't keep a planted tank, but I would think deep gravel vacs would potentially damage and expose roots. It would also diminish required nutrients.
Sand is so densely packed, that waste can not penetrate. No need for deep cleaning.
No holds barred regarding cleaning a standard gravel bed; deep, shallow, halfway, or occassioally change it up.

As above for me.

Planted tanks are too dense so I used to just run it over plants and swirl around. Especially carpet plants can be debris magnet I found.

Anywhere open was fair game to clean. I felt that helped for bottom dwellers.

Back
Top Bottom