gravel-less tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

To gravel or not to gravel

• Total voters

elmatadorre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Just joined and would like to know what peoples opinions are on gravel-less tanks.

Only recently had our first tank, and following some advice (bad as it turns out) from the pet store, managed to kill off the first 2 then another 3 fish. Changed to a gravel-less system (and another pet store) and the two we have at the moment are about 9months and seem to be thriving in it.

It's far easier to clean with a siphon and I doubt it's needed as a substrate for bacteria in our tank. Any reason(s) to put it back in?

(note: we have no live plants, just many ornaments for the fish to hide in)

Is aesthetics the only reason? Because I hate trying to siphon gravel, it gets all up in ma pipes yo.

It just depends on your taste, if your tank is doing fine without it than there isn't a need to add it

I've never really researched this topic myself, but I've seen many threads over the last months about this bare bottom tanks. From what other members have mentioned...I know the lfs's normally will not use substrate simply as a way to keep tanks cleaner. I've seen others mention that the fish can be stressed by things such as their reflection on the bottom of the tank.

On a personal note...the way I view aquariums is that we are trying our best as fish-keepers to provide as natural, suitable and peaceful of an environment as possible for our fish. After all (sorry to sound so blunt) but we are basically putting wild animals into a glass box. I would have to make the assumption that any fish would be more comfortable with a sand, gravel, etc...substrate which would be more similar to their natural environment.

I do have a good trick I use to keep things clean if you did decide to add gravel. I use both a Python water changer and sometimes also a regular gravel vac, and I've never had a problem with the gravel actually being sucked up all the way through the tube. You just need to gently stir it up to clean it.

The rear and mid-ground of my tank is planted, but the front is open swimming room. Anytime I feed, I turn off my filter and feed only at the front of the tank. This way any food particles that make it to the substrate fall only to the front of the tank and are not blown all over the place. When I gravel vac, I only focus on the front section of the tank since that's where the excess food has gone. I don't really concern myself too much with the back portions because my understanding is that the small portions of decaying matter that make it back there will actually help to feed and nourish the plants. The important part is to remember to plug the filter back in after feeding time.

Last edited:
I have several bare bottom tanks. It is definitely easier to keep them clean. I'm not really against substrate, I just have never bothered to put any in these particular tanks. I may at some point, but bare bottom tanks work out just fine.

I had a bare bottom tank before for a silver arowana.I just added more filter media to make up for having no gravel. As far as the reflection if it's on a stand with a full top not just the type that supports the corners you don't get a reflection it's just the color of the wood. Never had issues with water chemistry very easy maintenance

Like lighting, it's more for the look we want than the need of the fish. It also depends on what fish you have, goldfish for example are always booking and a substrate is mandatory IMO.

Mr. Limpet said:
Like lighting, it's more for the look we want than the need of the fish. It also depends on what fish you have, goldfish for example are always booking and a substrate is mandatory IMO.

+1 I agree. And I always found subtract to be more appealing!

Glass bottoms can irritate the fish, especially if the light is being reflected from the fixture on top of the tank. Next to orientation and a more natural look, the substrate is breeding and colonizing grounds for the beneficial bacteria and other microscopic life forms.

Painting or putting something like a black cloth under the tank when install it helps, I just use finer sand never get anything below a quarter inch to a half inch into the substrate, still every once in a while like to do a bit of a deeper clean to make sure

Edit: I absolutely despise big gravel, it doesn't have a very good surface area anyway, I don't like bare bottom either there is a time and a place for it I imagine if ya got a lot of filtration

I saw a really interesting idea on a forum somewhere, and I wish I had saved the link. Basically, someone took their new aquarium and turned it upside down, and then taped off the plastic edging and the glass sides. Then they spray painted the outside of the bottom of the tank with several layers of textured, multi-colored spray paint. Then they did a final layer of flat black. It ended up looking like a sand bottom, but was really plain glass on the inside. The person who posted the technique really emphasized that multiple THIN layers were needed to get a dimensional look.

Personally, I like a gravel base, but prefer the smaller stuff (about 1/8 inch per peice). I have fancy goldfish, and they love to pick through it.

Back
Top Bottom