Gravel & PWC Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of moving my 1 comet goldfish from a 5.5 gallon to a temporary 10 gallon home and am part way through my fishless cycle. I realized today that the gravel I have placed in the 10 gallon has larger stones than that of the 5.5 gallon. My question is, the goldfish has always seemed to enjoyed scavenging through the gravel by picking it up in his mouth and spitting it out. I realize this behavior is normal but I started to realize that in the new 10 gallon tank, he will be unable to do this with the size of the new gravel. There is roughly about a cup of the smaller size gravel in the new tank from using it as a seeding material. Should I leave him with just that small amount to explore or should I go ahead and put a layer of the smaller gravel on top of the new gravel for this purpose. Or... should I just completely remove the smaller size seed gravel from the new tank once it is cycled and leave him with only the larger gravel so he is not picking it up and spitting it out?

As far as the PWC question, when I do a PWC as is called for in the "almost complete fishless cycle" guide, how will I be using the Seachem Prime on this partial change? Obviously the original amount I added was based on the size of the tank. Would the amount to add during a PWC be based on the amount of water I am changing? So for instance if I am doing a 50% PWC, would I use half the dose of Seachem Prime as originally used for the full 10 gallons?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Back
Top Bottom