Gravel v's sand??? New tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jam4lyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have only been at this hobby a couple years and have learned a lot from you all, thanks :)

My beautiful Oranda has horribly outgrown his 10 gallon aquarium and I'm preparing to move him into a 45 gallon Hex. My biggest question is this, what are the pro's and con's of using gravel v's sand on the bottom? I have always used gravel in the past, but love the look of sand. His wen is huge and I'm also thinking the soft sand would be better for him.

My problem is cleaning/syphoning...how do you keep sand from getting sucked up/out? He is a pretty dirty guy, and I am careful to syphon the bottom (currently gravel) every other night when I do 50% water changes. I have to change it that often to keep his water balanced. It amazes me in a couple days how much stuff comes up from the gravel. I'm careful not to over feed him, but like I said, he is a big and dirty guy who is too big for his current tank :rolleyes:

Also, is it a problem to go from a 10 to a 45? I will have it set up and cycled and will use some of his current water and filter media to get it up and running. Someone told me, though, it could stress him out too much and that I should divide the tank somehow before letting him swim around the whole thing. He is actually a very unique fish...I think he was a dog in another life lol! He loves to be petted and touched, and to hang out in my hand when I'm changing his tank. He is very alert when we walk in the room and swims all over the front of the tank (like a dog barking and wagging!) to greet us. He has never shyed away at all and I guess that's why I'm thinking he would make the transition to a new tank pretty easily.

All opinions and tips are appreciated!! :thanks: in advance for your expert assistance :flowers:

Hi!!! Sand is a GREAT option for goldies!! Gravel, particularly fine or small gravel, poses a choking hazard as goldies are constantly sucking up stuff from the bottom & rooting for food. You want to look for pool filter sand (pfs)- it does not affect your ph & its heavy, coarse grain making clean-up easy & quick. Google pool & spa stores in your area- a 50pd bag (more than enough for your tank size) should only cost $10-12. Just make sure you rinse it really well before using (a pillow case will make this easier).

In respect to transitioning him, as long as the tank is cycled & your adding the old filter media to the new filter, you should be fine! He will enjoy his new freedom & room to actually swim- no need to divide anything off. Just make sure the new tanks temperature is matched to his present tank & that you have added enough water conditioner for the size of the tank. When moving him, use an open-mouthed pitcher full of tank water (or a pot) to prevent injury & make the move less stressful- no nets. Then, just monitor the new tank for @2wks to make sure there are no spikes in ammonia or nitrites & do water changes as needed. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask!!!! :)

Hi JLK and thanks for your kind reply.

Now I have another question for you because I ran in to a filter problem!!

I bought an Aqua Clear 110 because I want as much filtration as I can get with this big guy (plus after he's settled, I'm thinking of adding a new little Oranda to keep him company), only to find out it is too wide for the side of the hex tank. I haven't researched sizes and how small I'd have to go to stay with the Aqua Clear type, and now I'm entertaining the "canister" type of which I know nothing about.

Suggestions on best type and how I can get the most filtration bang for my buck? I admit I am slow to the draw learning/using new things, so if it involves much maintenance I probably would stick to the over the side type filter I'm familiar with. Ultimately, however, I will do what's best for my Stachie...we've had him a couple years and I hear they can live up to 30!! I would LOVE to have him around as long as possible and will do what I can to keep him healthy :eek:

P.S. I also have a 75 with Blood Red Parrots, Severums, Barbs and a big Raphael Cat. Other than changing water and feeding them, it has been pretty steady and doesn't require much maintenance at all. Stachie, however, requires a pwc every other night right now. My goal is to get him in an appropriate sized home so his maintenance will require less time as well. I hope that doesn't make me sound too lazy...truth is I married for the first time last July to a man with 3 teenagers, and I'm still figuring out how to keep up with my family, home, pets and work :eek:

You def want to look for a filter that runs atleast 10x your tank size- ie minimum of a 450gph (gallons per hour) size filter. You can accomplish this with either two hefty hobs or a canister. I dont know your exact tank setup or what & where you have room for filters but from the sounds of it, a canister will be your best option. Dont look at the size of the tank they say they are rated for (ie up to 50gals) but the gph of the filter (min 450gph). I am glad you are upgrading his home!!! He should be very happy! :)

Jam4lyf said:
I have only been at this hobby a couple years and have learned a lot from you all, thanks :)

My beautiful Oranda has horribly outgrown his 10 gallon aquarium and I'm preparing to move him into a 45 gallon Hex. My biggest question is this, what are the pro's and con's of using gravel v's sand on the bottom? I have always used gravel in the past, but love the look of sand. His wen is huge and I'm also thinking the soft sand would be better for him.

My problem is cleaning/syphoning...how do you keep sand from getting sucked up/out? He is a pretty dirty guy, and I am careful to syphon the bottom (currently gravel) every other night when I do 50% water changes. I have to change it that often to keep his water balanced. It amazes me in a couple days how much stuff comes up from the gravel. I'm careful not to over feed him, but like I said, he is a big and dirty guy who is too big for his current tank :rolleyes:

Also, is it a problem to go from a 10 to a 45? I will have it set up and cycled and will use some of his current water and filter media to get it up and running. Someone told me, though, it could stress him out too much and that I should divide the tank somehow before letting him swim around the whole thing. He is actually a very unique fish...I think he was a dog in another life lol! He loves to be petted and touched, and to hang out in my hand when I'm changing his tank. He is very alert when we walk in the room and swims all over the front of the tank (like a dog barking and wagging!) to greet us. He has never shyed away at all and I guess that's why I'm thinking he would make the transition to a new tank pretty easily.

All opinions and tips are appreciated!! :thanks: in advance for your expert assistance :flowers:

Just siphon all the water from the 10 then finish with fresh and conditioner will be just like doing at 50% WC. There you have all ur BB!!!!

JLK, thanks for the advice and good thoughts and, boadams, can't believe I didn't even think of that :facepalm:!!! Brilliant (y)

Quck update and a couple questions...sold the hex, bought a 27 gallon cube. Will be running the Aquaclear 110 with the current AC 40 I'm using in the 10 gallon, until I'm sure the 110 has enough BB established (have the 10 gallon set-up promised to a friend ;-)). I'm completely on the fence about sand v's gravel.

1. I want to "bury"/hide a very long, flexible air strip. When you put airstones under sand, do they stay hidden? Or will the sand be displaced/swooshed off the airstrip and expose it? I really don't want to see it. My only idea was bury the airstrip under the sand, then cover it with pebbles? Which wouldn't be necessary if the sand will stay put?

2. How do you siphon and care for a sand bottomed tank? I currently push through the pebbles of my 75/10 gallon tanks and give it a twist and watch as the yuchiness goes up the tube. Won't the sand go right up the tube as well?

Sorry to sound so stupid...I've only ever used gravel/pebbles. I LOVE the look of sand and I have "beach themed" decorations to add. I'd really like to go with sand, but it seems like it may be a little higher in maintenance? I'm really not a lazy fish momma, I swear...just keeping up with family and work keeps me very busy!!

THANK YOU so much for your opinions and patience!!!

P.S. Btw, I'm proud to tell you, sadly (it took me so long!) and finally (yey!), I have the master test kit. Surprisingly enough, my parameters are wonderful!!! On my first test, Ph is a little low in my 75 community tank, but the fabulously colored results of both tanks had me relieved and jumping for joy!!! I am so happy to be using the kit, and ashamed I wasn't using it sooner...it is ridiculously easy to do and I don't know why I put it off for so long :whistle: Glad the folks here (in other posts, inlcuding you jlk :)) kept urging me to get one...THANKS...there is NO BETTER way to feel truly comfortable with your water parameters!!

Jam4lyf said:
JLK, thanks for the advice and good thoughts and, boadams, can't believe I didn't even think of that :facepalm:!!! Brilliant (y)

Quck update and a couple questions...sold the hex, bought a 27 gallon cube. Will be running the Aquaclear 110 with the current AC 40 I'm using in the 10 gallon, until I'm sure the 110 has enough BB established (have the 10 gallon set-up promised to a friend ;-)). I'm completely on the fence about sand v's gravel.

1. I want to "bury"/hide a very long, flexible air strip. When you put airstones under sand, do they stay hidden? Or will the sand be displaced/swooshed off the airstrip and expose it? I really don't want to see it. My only idea was bury the airstrip under the sand, then cover it with pebbles? Which wouldn't be necessary if the sand will stay put?

2. How do you siphon and care for a sand bottomed tank? I currently push through the pebbles of my 75/10 gallon tanks and give it a twist and watch as the yuchiness goes up the tube. Won't the sand go right up the tube as well?

Sorry to sound so stupid...I've only ever used gravel/pebbles. I LOVE the look of sand and I have "beach themed" decorations to add. I'd really like to go with sand, but it seems like it may be a little higher in maintenance? I'm really not a lazy fish momma, I swear...just keeping up with family and work keeps me very busy!!

P.S. Btw, I'm proud to tell you, sadly (it took me so long!) and finally (yey!), I have the master test kit. Surprisingly enough, my parameters are wonderful!!! On my first test, Ph is a little low in my 75 community tank, but the fabulously colored results of both tanks had me relieved and jumping for joy!!! I am so happy to be using the kit, and ashamed I wasn't using it sooner...it is ridiculously easy to do and I don't know why I put it off for so long :whistle: Glad the folks here (in other posts, inlcuding you jlk :)) kept urging me to get one...THANKS...there is NO BETTER way to feel truly comfortable with your water parameters!!

With sand nothing gets under it, so all u gotta do is stay above the sand to vacuum all the crap up.. Sand is much easier to maintain than gravel. What kinda sand r u wanting?

Hi! Ill try to address your questions- let me know if I miss something or you dont understand.

1. airstrips- I have bubble wands in my sand (remember, pfs is heavy sand that is not easy to disturb)- one tank has weighted wands that dont move & the other has thin wands that are kept in place in the sand with suction cups attached to the glass. The sand is not disturbed but i have read before some people have an awful time with bubble wands & sand- I suspect its because its finer sand that gets blown all over. Yes, rocks/pebbles can alternately be placed over the wands to keep them in place.

2. cleaning- Easy! Pfs really does not move much. You can run the siphon over the top of the sand to suck up any loose debris or just stick the tip of the siphon in the sand so it only spins up into the bottom of the siphon- shake it if too much sand gets sucked up. You will get the hang of it pretty quickly! Most small debris will be sucked up by your filter so no worries! I find pfs MUCH easier to keep & maintain with messy goldies.

Congrats on getting yourself a test kit & I am happy to hear your water parameters look good in your tanks!!! :)

Boadams, per jlk's advice, I'm going with pfs.

jlk, the strip I have will be attached to the bottom using suction cups. Not using the sand/pebbles for weight, I was just referring to the sand being "blown" off the strip thereby exposing it...

I am so excited and glad you two responded...I am definitely going with sand and hope to pick it up and get started tonight. I have everything else I need and can hardly wait!!

Thanks, again. I LOVE this website and have recommended it to MANY!!!

Jam4lyf said:
Perhaps a ridiculous ?, is the black diamond blasting sand black in color?

Yes, but when you at it very closely it's almost a dark translucent amber. Very dark. That's when looking at an individual grain, compiled together it's a pretty black.

Thanks Atxpunx...sounds lovely, but hubby and I honeymooned in Jamaica and I'm trying to replicate the beautiful sandy beach...complete with sand, a palm tree, two little red beach chairs and a thatch hut. Can hardly wait...although...I hope I don't spend too much time gazing at the new aquarium and dreaming of going back lol!!!

Sounds beautiful boadams...I will definitely keep it in mind when I re-design my 75 :eek:) Thanks!

Jam4lyf said:
Sounds beautiful boadams...I will definitely keep it in mind when I re-design my 75 :eek:) Thanks!

I think you can google it and see in some tanks. It takes forever to clean though

Boadams, is all black diamond sand "created equal"? Lol! After researching and looking at pics and video, we've decided to go with it. Found it at Tractor Supply store, just want to make sure there aren't different grades or types, etc. Also, how deep should I have it? I soooo want to get started on this tank lol!!! Hoping tonight's the night :)

Jam4lyf said:
Boadams, is all black diamond sand "created equal"? Lol! After researching and looking at pics and video, we've decided to go with it. Found it at Tractor Supply store, just want to make sure there aren't different grades or types, etc. Also, how deep should I have it? I soooo want to get started on this tank lol!!! Hoping tonight's the night :)

If u look on btm of the bag there r numbers that indicates the size. Glad u liked it. Now get ready to wash alot!!!!!! The depth is ur own choice. I have mine over 2 in

Back
Top Bottom