great pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaBaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
question about how members take such great pictures.do you take the pictures with a digital camera or a 35 mm?
i have a digital but it seem all my pictures look weird.
thanks

most people I know use digital pictures. It could depend on the type of camera you have that is making it looks weird. Try setting the resolution to 800x600 for better quality if it's possible.

Mike

Tip- Use a tripod, turn off your power heads, adjust your white balance on the camera, clean the tanks glass.

The problem I'm finding is that I simply don't have enough light to take good pics - lots of them turn out grainy and blurry. . . I know I need a new bulb, but how much will that help, really?

Even with the overhead light on in the room and the window open, I don't see much different. I'm starting to consider other 'creative' methods. :|

I have a similar problem.

I have a Minolta Dimage Z1 and I want to know... Is there a way to turn the focus off all together?????

There are manual controls on my camera I just dont know how to use them...

My digi also has a manual focus mode. With my camera I switch it to MF and then use the up and down arrows on my back panel to adjust the focus until I have it where I want it. I can also use my AF to set the focus (by holding down the button but not pressing down all the way) and then switching to MF without picking up my finger. Then I can make minor adjustments to the focus just in case it isn't quite right.

I'm interested in the white balance angle... I'm going to have to research that one. I'm not sure how that comes into play and what affect the different settings would have on my pictures.

See my problem is it looks PERFECT before it AF.

When it AF it gets it way too light.

And when you try to take a pic of something inside the tank it always gets confused with the glass.

I guess I could try playing with the MF.

Use a tripod.
Turn off ambient lighting.
Do not use a flash.

Then all you have to do is adjust your exposure (manual, based on lighting, your normal 35mm film exposure times as well as long term exposures) and white-level settings.

Camera jitter will cause all sorts of lighting, blurring and focus issues -- *especially* in a digital camera. The newer Sony's have jitter control, the higher notch ones even have professional grade lenses.

If the "Auto" is changing the color spectrum or brightness then it is one of the other manual controls (aperature or f-stop) and not the focus per se. You could still auto focus if you could set the rest in a manual mode and play around until you found the exposure that you liked the best.

When I take pictures I make sure that I'm right on top of the glass whenever possible. It also helps to make sure the glass is algae free and clean on the outside as well. Less confusion that way.

Back
Top Bottom